Data Warehousing in Oracle
IOW Acad. year 2017/2018 Summer semester 5 credits
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Generic learning outcomes and competences
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
- Griesemer, B.: Oracle Warehouse Builder 11g: Getting Started. Packt Publishing, 2009.
- Documentation of Oracle Warehouse Builder 11g.
Syllabus of lectures
- Data warehousing concepts in Oracle 11g - basic terms: data warehouse, ETL, OLTP and OLAP databases, approaches of data warehouse creation, facts and dimensions.
- Logical and physical model of a data warehouse (1) - problem of data modeling in data warehousing, terms of business, logical a physical model.
- Logical and physical model of a data warehouse (2) - physical models of data warehouses (star schema, snowflake schema), facts and dimension characteristics, transformation of models.
- Structures for efficient creation of data warehouses - size estimation, data partitioning, indexing, optimization, parallelization, data security.
- Process of extraction, transformation and loading (1) - ETL process and its parts, tools for ETL process, data extraction: data sources selection, mapping, data extraction methods.
- Process of extraction, transformation and loading (2) - Data transformation: anomalies in data, problems of transformation and their solution, tools and techniques, data quality.
- Process of extraction, transformation and loading (3) - data loading: data transmission techniques, loading process definition, data loading techniques, post-processing.
- SQL constructions for data warehousing - aggregation in data warehouses, analytical queries in SQL, regular expressions in SQL.
- Oracle Warehouse Builder (1) - tool description and definition of steps of the ETL process.
- Oracle Warehouse Builder (2) - accessing various data sources, metadata management, data security.
- Efficiency of data warehouses - efficiency of ETL process, performance tuning, parameters setting, use of materialized views.
- Optimization in data warehouses - optimization at various levels, optimization of analytic queries.
- Support for data warehousing in the Oracle DBMS - various Oracle tools to maintain data warehouses.
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
- A project according to its specification (60 points).
- Final written test (40 points).
- A project of creation a data warehouse in the Oracle 11g.
- Written test at the end of a semester.
Course inclusion in study plans