Modelling of Biological Systems
MOB FEEC BUT MMOB Acad. year 2017/2018 Winter semester 4 credits
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
- Holčík, J.: Modelování biologických systémů, Elektronické texty.
- Murray, J.D.: Mathematical Biology, Berlin, Springer Verlag, 1989.
- van Wijk van Brievingh, R.P., Moeller, D.P.F.: Biomedical Modeling and Simulation on a PC, New York, Springer Verlag, 1993.
- Rowe, G.W.: Theoretical Models in Biology, Oxford, Oxford Univ. Press, 1994.
Syllabus of lectures
- Basic vocabulary, definition of biosystem, its specificity and characteristics.
- Continuous models of single-species populations, analysis of logistic equation, models with delay.
- Discrete models of single-species populations and their analysis, Leslie model, fundamentals of deterministic chaos theory.
- Discrete models of single-species models with delay, models of interacting populations.
- Fractals, basic types of fractals. Fractal morphological structure of biosystems.
- Multicompartmental analysis, models of biochemical processes.
- Epidemic models and dynamics of infection diseases, venereal diseases, AIDS.
- Disrete systems, finite automata, discrete models of cellular structure.
- Artificial life, cellular automata. Conway's "Life", analysis of cellular automata.
- Catastrophe theory and its application in behavioral models.
- Verification and optimizing of implemented models, computer experiments and its evaluation.
- Human organism as a system, models of subsystems in human body, cardiovascular system.
- Models of subsystems in human body: model of glucose concentration control, control of biochemical processes in intestinal system.
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
- Discrete models of single-species populations.
- Models of interacting populations.
- Epidemic models, Venereal diseases, AIDS.
- Conway's "Life".
- Models of glucose control.
Course inclusion in study plans