Principles of Programming Languages (in English)
IPPe Acad. year 2018/2019 Summer semester 5 credits
Language of instruction
* This course is prepared for incoming Erasmus+ students only, and it is instructed in English.
* This course will be open if a certain/sure minimum of enrolled students is at least five students.
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
- Lecture notes in PDF file
- Sebesta R.W.: Concepts of Programming Languages, 4th edition, ADDISON-WESLEY, 1999, ISBN 0-201-38596-1
Syllabus of lectures
- Introduction, definition of used terms
- Imperative languages, non-structured programming languages
- Block-structured programming languages
- Modular languages
- Object-oriented languages
- Some specialties of object-oriented programming languages
- Comparison of various kinds of imperative programming languages
- Declarative languages, lambda calculus
- Functional programming languages
- Logical programming languages
- Other declarative programming languages, their comparison
- Main differences in usage and implementation of declarative and imperative programming languages
- Conclusion, discussion of the follow-up courses
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
- Mid-term exam, for which there is only one schedule and, thus, there is no possibility to have another trial - 20 points.
- One project should be solved and delivered in a given date during a term - 20 points.
- Mid-term exam - written form, a test, where answers are given in sentences (open questions), by selection of appropriate answer from offered ones, and by combination of both of these possibilities, no possibility to have a second/alternative trial. (20 points)
- Projects realization - 1 project (program development according to a given specification) with appropriate documentation. (20 points)
- Final exam - written form, a test, where answers are given in sentences, by selection of appropriate answer from offered ones, and by combination of both of these possibilities, 2 another corrections trials possible. (60 points)