ISC Acad. year 2018/2019 Winter semester 2 credits
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
- Student gains an overview about basic work with a computer, especially, for what a computer is used and how it works.
- S/he gets to know key domains where a computer plays an irreplaceable role (e.g. audio/video processing, biometrics, robotics, web design etc.).
- S/he understands the meaning of a computer and its exploitation in order to build a software.
- S/he gets to know the basic (abstract) data types and structures.
- S/he gains the basic generic and general knowledge from programming languages domain.
- S/he understands the ways of numbers manipulation and representation in a computer (how a man and a computer work with numbers /usually different way/ and why there are some complications with with real /floating point/ numbers).
- S/he gains an overview about common editors, usage of tool-tips/hints and utilities that make the work on a computer more efficient (e.g. software development).
- S/he accomplishes manners of result presentation: word processor - WYSIWYG, PSpad, Notepad++, Eclipse, spreadsheets, electronic presentation (ppt, excel, word), WWW pages editors, interconnection and portability of documents, alternative office applications.
Generic learning outcomes and competences
- Student learns domain specific terminology in Czech and English language
- Student learns to create small software projects and related project documentation
- Student learns to present and defend the results of their work
Why is the course taught
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
BS ISO/IEC 9899:2011, Information technology. Programming languages. C, 2012, ISBN 978 0 580 80165 5.
Prokop,J.: Algoritmy v jazyku C a C++. Grada Publishing, 2015.
- Cormen, T.H., Leiserson, Ch.E., Rivest, R.L.: Introduction to Algorithms.
- Aho A.V., Hoppcroft J.E., Ullman J.D.: Data Structures and Algorithms.
- Kruse, R.L.: Data Structures and Program Design. Prentice- Hall,Inc. 1984
- Baase, S.: Computer Algorithms - Introduction to Design and Analysis. Addison Wesley, 1998
- Sedgewick, R.: Algoritmy v C. (Základy. Datové struktury. Třídění. Vyhledávání.) Addison Wesley 1998. Softpress 2003.
Syllabus of lectures
- Presentation of areas and domains where computers are key tool, von Neumann computer architecture, model of computation/evaluation, model of program development and implementation.
- Representation and manipulation of numbers in a computer (difference between viewing numbers as man and as a computer, problems in representation of fully floating point numbers in a computer).
- Elementary terms used in programming languages: expression, statement, statement composition, control flow determination.
- Elementary terms of algorithm description. Overview of data structures and their manipulation. Pointer as an abstract data type and its specification.
- Editors, exploitation of tool-tips/hints, various utilities.
- Tools for result presentation - text editors: WYSIWYG, PSpad, Notepad++, Eclipse; spreadsheets; electronic presentaion (ppt, excel, word); WWW pages editors; interconnection and portability of documents; alternative office applications.
Syllabus of computer exercises
- Evaluated individual assignments - up to 12 points
- Attendance list of classes - up to 12 points
- Final written test - up to 76 points
The attandance in PC labs is awarded points. A possibility of a substitute is by an individual task.
- To earn at least 50 points within the semester
Course inclusion in study plans