Selected Parts from Mathematics 2
IVP2 FEEC BUT BVPM Acad. year 2018/2019 Winter semester 5 credits
The aim of this course is to introduce the basics of calculation of improper multiple integral and basics of solving of linear differential equations using delta function and weighted function. In the field of improper multiple integral, main attention is paid to calculations of improper multiple integrals on unbounded regions and from unbounded functions. In the field of linear differential equations, the following topics are covered: Eliminative solution method, method of eigenvalues and eigenvectors, method of variation of constants, method of undetermined coefficients, stability of solutions.
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Students completing this course should be able to:
- Calculate improper multiple integral on unbounded regions and from unbounded functions,
- apply a weighted function and a delta function to solving of linear differential equations,
- select an optimal solution method for given differential equation,
- investigate a stability of solutions of systems of differential equations.
The aim of this course is to introduce the basics of improper multiple integrals, systems of differential equations including of investigations of a stability of solutions of differential equations and applications of selected functions with solving of dynamical systems.
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
The student should be able to apply the basic knowledge of analytic geometry and mathematical analysis on the secondary school level: To explain the notions of general, parametric equations of lines and surfaces and elementary functions. From the IDA and IMA courses, the basic knowledge of differential and integral calculus and solution methods of linear differential equations with constant coefficients is demanded. Especially, the student should be able to calculate derivative (including partial derivatives) and integral of elementary functions.
- ŠMARDA, Z., RUŽIČKOVÁ, I.: Vybrané partie z matematiky, el. texty na PC síti.
- KRUPKOVÁ, V.: Diferenciální a integrální počet funkce více proměnných,skripta VUT Brno, VUTIUM 1999, 123 p.
- BRABEC, J., HRUZA, B.: Matematická analýza II, SNTL/ALFA, Praha 1986, 579 p.
- GARNER, L.E.: Calculus and Analytical Geometry. Brigham Young University, Dellen publishing Company, San Francisco,1988, ISBN 0-02-340590-2.
Syllabus of lectures
- Basic properties of multiple integrals.
- Improper multiple integral.
- Impulse function and delta function, basic properties.
- Derivative and integral of the delata function.
- Unit function and its relation with the delta function, weighted function.
- Solving differential equations of the n-th order using weighted functions.
- Relation between Dirac function and weighted function.
- Systems of differential equations and their properies.
- Eliminative solution method.
- Method of eigenvalues and eigenvectors.
- Method of variation of constants and method of undetermined coefficients.
- Differential transformation solution method of ordinary differential equations.
- Differential transformation solution method of functional differential equations.
The student's work during the semestr (written tests and homework) is assessed by maximum 30 points.
Written examination is evaluated by maximum 70 points. It consist of seven tasks (one from improper multiple integral (10 points), three from application of a weighted function and a delta function (3 X 10 points) and three from analytical solution method of differential equations (3 x 10 points)).
Teaching methods include lectures and demonstration practises . Course is taking advantage of exercise bank and Maple exercises on server UMAT.
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Course inclusion in study plans