OPD Acad. year 2018/2019 Winter semester
Electromagnetic waves and light. Fresnel's equations. Reflection at dielectric surfaces. Coherence, thin film interference. Diffraction by 2D and 3D structures. Holography. Thermal radiation. Energy and light quantities. Image-forming systems. Analytical ray tracing, matrix concept. Photon. Stimulated and spontaneous emission. Lasers. Luminiscence, phosphors, fluorescence, phosphorescence. Scattering of light, Rayleygh's scattering.
Questionnaires for SDE:
1. Wave equation. Wave functions. Superposition principle. Complex amplitude.
2. Interference of light waves.
3. Thermal radiation of bodies and radiation generated by lasers.
4. Wave passage through optical elements, thin plate of variable thickness.
5. Diffraction on edges, slits, grids, two-dimensional and three-dimensional structures. Holography.
6. Fourier transform of aperture function. Diffraction on 2D slit.
7. Circular slit and resolution of optical devices and human eye.
8. Matrix paraxial optics. Transmission matrices of optical elements.
9. Passage of the Gaussian beam through optical elements. ABCD law. 10. Physical processes in lasers. Stimulated emission, Inverse population, Metastable level.
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Students will learn theory of physical optics needed for computer graphics and general overview of other parts of optics.
The goal of the course is to get the students acquainted with principles of physical optics needed for computer graphics and with aspects of modern optics.
- Hruška P.: Lecture 2012 notes
- Malý P.: Optika, Karolinum 2008, ISBN 978-80-246-1342-0
- Hecht E.: Optics, Addison-Wesley, London 2002, ISBN 0-321-18878-0
- Goodman J. W.: Introduction to Fourier Optics, Roberts publishers, USA 2005, ISBN 0-9747077-2-4
- Saleh B. E. A., Teich M. C,: Fundamentals of Photonics 2nd ed., Wiley, New York 2007, ISBN 0-471-83965-5
- Smith F. G., King. T. A.:Optics and Photonics, Wiley, Chichester UK 2000, ISBN 0-471-48925-5
- Schroeder G.: Technická optika, SNTL, Praha, ČR, 1981
Syllabus of lectures
- Electromagnetic waves and light.
- Light at the interface of two media, Fresnel's equations. Reflection at dielectric surfaces, linear and elliptical polarization. Polarizers.
- Koherence. Interference from thin films. Interference filters. The Fabry-Perot interferometer.
- Diffraction by edges, slits, gratings and 2D and 3D structures. Holography.
- Thermal radiation. Energy and light quantities. Receptors, human eye. Spectral sensitivity of receptors. Filters and color dividers.
- Elements of image-forming systems. Mirrors, prisms, lenses. The microscope, the telescope. The Fermat principle.
- Analytical ray tracing. Matrix concept. Aperture and field stops. Magnification, resolving power.
- Physical statistics. Photon. Stimulated and spontaneous emission. Inversion population. Lasers.
- The essentials of luminiscence, phosphors, fluorescence, phosphorescence.
- Scattering of light. Rayleigh's scattering.
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
- Individually assigned projects.
Course inclusion in study plans