English for Europe
AEU Acad. year 2019/2020 Winter semester 3 credits
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
the student is able to describe EU institutions and knows the basic facts about their functioning
understands the relationships of the Euro-American cultural context
explains and describes the structure of a firm and its functioning, introduces its products and services to potential business partners
prepares documents connected with the job application procedures
is prepared for different situations connected with the job interview
responds adequately in problem solving (professional communication)
makes basic formal documents
discusses the problems of the legal system and environment
compares cultural environment of different countries and understands cultural differences
is able to discuss the problems of the systems of education
Why is the course taught
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
- Wellman, G.: The Heinemann English Wordbuilder. Praha, Státní pedagogické nakladatelství, 1991.
- Ashley, A. (2003) Oxford Handbook of Commercial Correspondence. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- English for business and economics. Prague: Oeconomica, nakladatelství VŠE, 2017. ISBN 978-80-245-2210-4.
- SWAN, Michael. Practical English usage. Fourth edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, . ISBN 978-0-19-420243-5.
- DL/FEEC: Supplementary Texts.
- Kocmanová, M. and Pokorná, Z. (2004) Euro English. Praha: Ostrov.
Syllabus of numerical exercises
How to prepare a successful presentation
Professional communication, introducing a company, the structure of a company, negotiations with a business partner
Jobs, job application procedures, CV, job interview
Telephoning, problem solving and replies to complaints
Formal (business) communication
Law, crime, justice, legal proceedings
Cultural differences, intercultural communication
Schools and education
Health problems, health care and the related communication in a foreign country
USA, Canada, Euro-American culture
Course inclusion in study plans
- Programme BIT, 2nd year of study, Elective
- Programme IT-BC-3, field BIT, any year of study, Elective
- Programme IT-BC-3, field BIT, 2nd year of study, Elective
- Programme IT-MSC-2, field MBI, MBS, MGM, MIN, MIS, MMI, MMM, MPV, MSK, any year of study, Compulsory-Elective group H
- Programme MITAI, specialisation NADE, NBIO, NCPS, NEMB, NGRI, NHPC, NIDE, NISD, NISY, NMAL, NMAT, NNET, NSEC, NSEN, NSPE, NVER, NVIZ, any year of study, Elective