New Headway Intermediate 1
BAN3 Acad. year 2019/2020 Winter semester 3 credits
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Generic learning outcomes and competences
Why is the course taught
- Headway Pre-Intermediate 2 (BAN2)
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
- Support for home-training: <http://www.feec.vutbr.cz/UJAZ/evyuka
- Harding, K.; Lane, A.: International Express intermediate, 3rd edition (EN)
- Soubor technických textů, gram. a lexikálních cvičení k samostatné práci (EN)
Syllabus of numerical exercises
- Pres. Simple and Continuous, action and state verbs. Vocab: personal information, learning vocabulary.
- National branding. Functions: introductions and greetings, welcoming a visitor.
- Past Simple and Pres. Perfect Simple review, used to + infinitive, subject and object questions. Vocab: work file, dictionary skills.
- Reading: company and job profile. Functions: answering the phone, making and changing appointments. Pronunciation: "s", "z". Saying dates.
- Comparative and superlative adjectives, relative clauses. Vocab: adjectives, personal attitudes and qualities. Techn. text: From dumb pipes to smart sensors.
- Reading: Past, present and future languages. Functions: giving opinions, agreeing and disagreeing, participating in a meeting or discussion. Pronunciation: sounding polite.
- Present and past trends: Pres. Continuous and Past Simple, adjectives and adverbs. Vocab: food file, word groups.
- Reading: ethical consumerism. Functions: advice and suggestions. Pronunciation: "sh (š)", "ch (č)" Techn. text: Data with a human touch.
- Passives: Pres. Simple, Pres. Continuous, Past Simple, Pres. Perfect Simple, Will future. Vocab: leisure and fitness activities, word combinations.
- Reading: Fit to work. Functions: leaving recorded messages, using mobile phones. Pronunciation: stressing important information.
- Past Simple, Past Continuous, Past Perfect. Vocab: gerunds file, personal management.
- Reading: Gap year for adults. Functions: requests and offers, exchanging information. Pronunciation: contrastive stress. Techn. text: Electronic paper (mock exam).
- Semester test.
- listening comprehension: 15 - 30 points,
- reading comprehension: 15 - 30 points.
Course inclusion in study plans