Digital Forensics (in English)
DFAa Acad. year 2019/2020 Summer semester 5 credits
Language of instruction
This course is instructed in English, and it is intended for incoming Erasmus+ students, too.
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Why is the course taught
The course prepares the student for a possible role of cyber attack investigator or forensic analyst within security teams.
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
- Nelson, B, Phillips, A, Enfinger, F, Stuart, C: Guide to Computer Forensics and Investigations, 2nd Ed, Thomson Course Technology, 2006, ISBN: 0-619-21706-5
- Vacca, J: Computer Forensics, Computer Crime Scene Investigation, 2nd Ed, Charles River Media, 2005.
- Buchanan, W, J: Introduction to Security and Network Forensics, Taylor and Francis, Auerbach Publications, 2011.
- Davidoff, S, Ham, J: Network Forensics: Tracking Hackers through Cyberspace, Prentice Hall, 2012.
Syllabus of lectures
- Introduction to Forensics Investigation
- Data Acquisition Tools and Methods
- Computer Forensics Tools
- Data Recovery, Filesystem Examination
- Data Analysis, Carving, Recovery Files
- OS Forensics: Windows, Mac OS, Linux
- Introduction to Mobile Forensics
- Mobile Forensics Data Acquisition and Analysis
- Network Traffic Capturing and Processing
- Network Data Analysis
- Network Device Forensics
- IoT Forensics
Syllabus of laboratory exercises
- Disk Imaging and Data Acquisition
- Digital Forensics using Autopsy
- Mobile data acquisition and analysis using MobilEdit
- Network Forensics using Wireshark
- Network Forensics: Flow and Log Analysis
- Digital Forensics of Cryptocurrencies
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
- Earning at least 20 points during the term is required.
- Minimum of 20 points of the final exam is necessary to pass the course.
Course inclusion in study plans
- Programme IT-MSC-2, field MBI, MBS, MGM, MIN, MIS, MMI, MMM, MPV, MSK, any year of study, Elective
- Programme IT-MSC-2, field MGMe, any year of study, Compulsory-Elective group I
- Programme MITAI, specialisation NADE, NBIO, NCPS, NEMB, NGRI, NHPC, NIDE, NISD, NISY, NMAL, NMAT, NNET, NSEC, NSEN, NSPE, NVER, NVIZ, any year of study, Elective