EVD Acad. year 2019/2020 Summer semester
Evolutionary computation in the context of artificial intelligence and optimization problems with NP complexity. Paradigm of genetic algorithms, evolutionary strategy, genetic programming and another evolutionary heuristics. Theory and practice of standard evolutionary computation. Advanced evolutionary algorithms based on graphic probabilistic models (EDA - estimation of distribution algorithms). Parallel evolutionary algorithms. A survey of representative applications of evolutionary algorithms in multi-objection optimization problems, artificial intelligence, knowledge based systems and digital circuit design. Techniques of rapid prototyping of evolutionary algorithms.
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Skills and approaches in solution of hard optimization problems.
To inform the students about up to date algorithms for solution of complex, NP complete problems.
- Fogel D., B.: Evolutionary computation: Toward a new philosophy of machine intelligence. IEEE Press, New York, 2000, ISBN 0-7803-5379-X.
- Back, J: Evolutionary algorithms, theory and practice, New York, 1996.
- Goldberg, D., E.: The Design of Innovation: Lessons from and for Competent Genetic Algorithms. Boston, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002. ISBN: 1402070985.
- Kvasnička V., Pospíchal J., Tiňo P.: Evolutionary algorithms. Publisher STU Bratislava, 2000, pp. 215, ISBN 80-227-1377-5.
Syllabus of lectures
- Evolutionary algorithms, theoretical foundation, basic distribution.
- Genetic algorithms (GA), schemata theory.
- Advanced genetic algorithms
- Repesentative combinatorial optimization problems.
- Evolution strategies.
- Genetic programming.
- Advanced estimation distribution algorithms (EDA).
- Variants of EDA algorithms, UMDA, BMDA and BOA.
- Simulated annealing.
- Methods for multicriterial and multimodal problems. Selection and population replacement.
- Techniques for fast prototyping. Structure of development systems and GA library.
- New evolutionary paradigm: immune systems, differential evolution, SOMA.
- Typical application tasks.
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
- Defence of a project, software project based on a variant of evolutionary algorithm
Project defence, software project based on a variant of evolutionary algorithms or the presentation of the assigned task.
Course inclusion in study plans