Design of Computer Systems
INP Acad. year 2019/2020 Winter semester 6 credits
Language of instruction
Course Web Pages
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Generic learning outcomes and competences
Why is the course taught
- Digital Systems Design (INC)
Corequisite knowledge and skills
- Drábek, V: Computer organization. Lecture notes of Brno University of Technology, PC-DIR publ., Brno, 1995. (in Czech).
- Pinker, J., Poupa, M.: Číslicové systémy a jazyk VHDL, BEN - technická literatura, Praha, 2006. (in Czech).
- Hennessy, J. L., Patterson, D. A.: Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach, 2nd edition, Morgan Kaufmann Publ., 1996, and new editions, e.g. the 5th ed. from 2012.
- Materials presented at course, available on the course website.
- Hamacher, C., Vranesic, Z., Zaky, S., N. Manjikian: Computer Organization and Embedded Systems, 6th edition, McGraw Hill Education, 2011, ISBN-13: 978-0073380650
Syllabus of lectures
- Introduction, processor and its function.
- Data representation.
- Instruction sets, register structures.
- Modelling in VHDL.
- Pipeline processing.
- Algorithms of fixed-point operations.
- Algorithms of floating point operations, iterative algorithms.
- Memories, cache memory.
- Buses, peripheral interfacing and control.
- Computer performance and performance evaluation.
- Reliability of computer systems.
- Introduction to parallel architectures.
Syllabus of numerical exercises
- VHDL - introduction
- VHDL - synthesizable code
- Introduction to FITkit
- Processor in VHDL
- Huffman code, Hamming code
- Modular arithmetic, adders
- Iterative algorithms
- Performance evaluation, reliability
- Parallel Architectures
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
- Two projects will be assigned during the semester.
Plagiarism and not allowed cooperation will cause that involved students are not classified and disciplinary action can be initiated.
Course inclusion in study plans