LAN Switching, Accessing the WAN (CCNA3+4)
I2C Acad. year 2019/2020 Winter semester 4 credits
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Students will understand common WAN technologies. They will understand WAN technologies PPP and VPN configuration. They get an overview of network security, traffic filtering and network monitoring. They will learn the fundamentals of network troubleshooting.
Generic learning outcomes and competences
The second part of the course deals with WAN technologies. In the labs, students will create a serial connection using PPP, VPN tunnels and ACL filtering for both IPv4 and IPv6. They will learn how to manage networks and provide network troubleshooting using SNMP, NetFlow and Syslog. The course covers two courses of Cisco Networking Academy programme - CCNA3 and CCNA4 Routing and Switching (R&S) version 6.
Why is the course taught
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
- Lecture notes in English.
- Documents and examples available at NetAcad FIT and NetSpace.
- Cisco Networking Academy: Scaling Networks v6 Companion Guide. Indianapolis: Cisco Press, 2018, ISBN 978-1-58713-434-0.
- Cisco Networking Academy: Connecting Networks v6 Companion Guide. Indianapolis: Cisco Press, 2018, ISBN 978-1-58713-432-6.
Syllabus of lectures
- Introduction to Scaling Networks.Extended VLAN: VTP and DTP.
- LAN Redundancy: HSRP, GLBP. Link aggregation.
- LAN Redundancy: STP, RSTP.
- EIGRP - Advanced Configuration and Troubleshooting.
- Adjust and Troubleshoot Single-Area OSPF.
- Multiarea OSPF.
- WAN Concepts.
- PPP Connection.
- Branch Connection, VPN technology, GRE tunnels, eBGP routing.
- ACL filtering for IPv4 and IPv6.
- Network Security and Monitoring, Quality of Service.
- Network Evolution. Network troubleshooting.
- Reviewing tests before labs (max. 36 points).
- Active laboratory work (max. 24 points).
- Practical skills test CCNA3 (max. 15 points).
- Final test CCNA3 (max. 5 points).
- Practical skills test CCNA4 (max. 15 points).
- Final test CCNA4 (max. 5 points).
- To obtain Academy Certificate of Completion all tests including Final exam and Skill test must be passed with min. score 80%.
- Home preparation and active laboratory work. Missed lab assignments are not compensated.
- Passing all module tests.
- Labs attendance.
- Getting at least 50% points of every activity.
Course inclusion in study plans