New Headway Intermediate 2
BAN4 Acad. year 2020/2021 Summer semester 3 credits
A standard course of English for intermediate students orientated on both general and technical English. An integrated approach is applied during teaching this course. After a grammar section with many tasks highlighting the new grammar, there is at least one activity for speaking, listening, reading and writing in every unit. There is a strong lexical component in the course. Technical texts are subject specific but the teacher's objective is teaching language, not subject knowledge.
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Students will be able to:
- Use a wide range of vocabulary
- Apply newly acquired knowledge of grammar
- Understand, analyze, translate, paraphrase texts
- Understand, analyze, translate, paraphrase listenings
- Understand, follow and actively participate in simple conversations
The course provides students not only with knowledge of general English, but also with the vocabulary, grammar, and functions necessary to become operational in professional and social situations.
Why is the course taught
The course enables students to acquire professional vocabulary, language functions and language skills necessary for active participation in seminars, lectures and other activities in the information and communication technology sector.
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
To pass the BAN3 course or to acquire at least 41 points the entrance language test (instruction is in Czech only).
- recommended prerequisite
- New Headway Intermediate 1
- K. Harding and A. Lane - International Express Intermediate, 3rd Edition, Student´s Book OUP, Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2014. -- 167 s.
- Support for home-training: http://www.feec.vutbr.cz/UJAZ/evyuka
- K. Harding and A. Lane - International Express Intermediate, 3rd Edition, Student´s Book OUP, Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2014.
Syllabus of numerical exercises
- Introduction, Revision
- Past sp., past cont., Past perf.
- Giving presentations, describing problems and finding solutions
- Conditionals: Zero, 1st and 2nd
- Money and finance, emails, discussing and reaching agreements
- Passives: Present sp., present cont. present perf sp., past sp., will
- Product journey vocab., Time management, Checking to understand and clarifying
- Relative clauses
- Job interviews, describing personal qualities at work, changing plans
- 3rd Conditional, should have/shouldn´t have
- Gerund VS. Infinitive, Changing careers, teleconferencing
- Technical text, revision
- Semester test
The course takes over 13 weeks in the form of language exercises. Attendance at seminars is compulsory (75 %). Absence must be properly apologized.
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
30% - reading - evaluates and assesses the abilities to work with a written text, abilities to analyze, synthesize, paraphrase, organize and reproduce information from the text.
30% - listening - evaluates and assesses the abilities to understand spoken English, abilities to analyze, synthesize, paraphrase, organize and reproduce information from the listening.
75% attendance and active participation at classes, fulfilment of given assignments.<br>
40% - semester test - evaluates the level of knowledge one has acquired during the semester.
Course inclusion in study plans