LAN Switching, Accessing the WAN (CCNA3+4)
I2C Acad. year 2020/2021 Summer semester 4 credits
Design of Scaling Networks, LAN redundancy using HSRP and VRRP. Link Aggregation using EtherChannel. STP and RSTP Protocols. Routing using OSPF. WAN technologies. Network security. ACL filtering and NAT translation. Network troubleshooting and monitoring. Network virtualization and automation.
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
LAN design, link redundancy using HSRP and VRRP, link aggregation using EtherChannel. Implementing OSPF routing.
Students will understand common WAN technologies. They will understand WAN technologies PPP and VPN configuration. They get an overview of network security, traffic filtering and network monitoring. They will learn the fundamentals of network troubleshooting.
Generic learning outcomes and competences
Design of LANs, link redundancy and aggregation. VLAN sítě. OSPF routing. This course prepares students to an industrial certification CCNA. This course prepares students to an industrial certification CCNA.
Students get skills about design and building LANs, link redundancy using HSRP and VRRP, link aggregation based on EtherChannel. Students will configure VLAN networks using managed switches and routers. They will configure OSPF routing for IPv4 and IPv6 networks.
The second part of the course deals with WAN technologies. Students will learn how to connect LAN networks, configure network address translation, filter network traffic using ACL and create VPN networks. The course also includes network security and network management. The contents of the course covers CCNA Enterprise Networking, Security, and Automation (ENSA) course version 7.
Why is the course taught
The course is focused on practical skills in configuring network routers and switches. The main emphases lies on hands-on labs and understanding of Cisco IOS operating system. In addition, the course prepares students for industrial CCNA Implementing and Administering Cisco Solutions.
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
Successful completion of the courses CCNA ITN (Introduction to Networks) and CCNA SRWE (Switching, Routing, and Wireless Essentials) version 7.
- Lecture notes in English.
- Documents and examples available at NetAcad FIT and on portal Cisco Networking Academy.
- Cisco Networking Academy: Switching, Routing, and Wireless Essentials Course Booklet (CCNAv7) Indianapolis: Cisco Press, 2020.
- Cisco Networking Academy: Enterprise Networking, Security, and Automation Companion Guide (CCNAv7) Indianapolis: Cisco Press, 2020
Syllabus of lectures
- Introduction. Hierarchical model. VTP protocol.
- EtherChannel. LAN redundanc. FHRP.
- Configuration and deployment of STP, RSTP.
- Port security.
- OSPF Routing. Protocol OSPFv2 and v3.
- ACL filtering.
- NAT translation. Static and dynamic NAT.
- WAN Concepts. Virtual private networks.
- Network monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Hardening network devices. Backups and file management.
- Network Security. Quality of Service.
- Network virtualization. SDN network. Rest API.
Syllabus of laboratory exercises
- Protokol VTP. L3 switching.
- Port aggregation using EtherChannel.
- LAN redundancy using HSRP.
- STP protocol.
- Port security.
- OSPF routing.
- ACL filtering. Standard and extended ACL lists.
- Static and dynamic NAT.
- VPN networks using GRE tunnelling.
- Network monitoring: CDP, NTP, syslog, SNMP.
- Securing device: password, ssh, VTY ACL. TFTP.
- Tunnelling IPv6 over IPv4.
- Challenge lab.
- Reviewing tests (max. 39 points).
- Laboratory assignments (max. 26 points).
- Practical skills test no. 1 (max. 17 points).
- Practical skills test no. 2 (max. 18 points).
- To obtain Academy Certificate of Completion all tests including Final exam and Skill test must be passed with min. score 80%.
- Home preparation and active laboratory work. Missed lab assignments are not compensated.
- Passing all module tests.
- Labs attendance.
- Getting at least 50% points of every activity.
Course inclusion in study plans