Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks (SWITCH)
C2P Acad. year 2020/2021 Summer semester 5 credits
The course learn students how to configure network switches on L2 and L3, how to implement VLAN networks, configure STP and RSTP. The part of the course is PoE configuration and WLAN networks. The course presents techniques for switch security.
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Students learn how to configure L2 and L3 switches including VLAN networks. They will understand STP and RSTP. They will be able to configure high-availability redundancy using HSRP and GLBP. They will learn about Power over Ethernet. They will learn how to implement WLAN networks and security switches against common threats. The obtained knowledge covers CCNP SWITCH certification requirements.
Multilayer switching. VLAN networks. STP and RSTP implementation. High availability using HSRP and GLBP. Power over Ethernet. Implementing wireless networks. Switch security.
Why is the course taught
This course prepares students for CCNP SWITCH certification that is required for network administrators and designers.
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
Students are required to successfully pass CCNA4 Exploration course in Network Academy or hold CCNA certification.
- Lecture notes in English.
- Electronic documents at Academy Online Portal.
- David Hucaby: CCNP SWITCH 642-813 Official Certification Guide, Cisco Press, 2010.
Syllabus of laboratory exercises
- Switch operations at L2 and L3, CAM table, port configuration.
- VLAN networks, trunks, VTP protocol. Link aggregation using EtherChannel.
- STP, RSTP, MSTP and PVSTP+.
- Mutlilayer switching, CEF.
- High-availability and redundancy using HSRP and GLBP.
- Challenge lab.
- IP telephony - PoE, voice VLANs, QoS for IPT.
- WLAN networks. Configuring WLAN controller.
- Voice transmision. Classification of IPT traffic.
- Switch hardening: 802.1x, DHCP snooping, DAI.
- Securing VLAN networks: ACLs, private VLANs.
- Completing labs and module tests.
- Skills text. Final Exam.
- Preparation and active participation at hands-on labs (max 36 points)
- Challenge lab (max 20 points)
- Skills test (max 34 points)
- To obtain Certification of Completion, all module test must be completed + skills test and final exam score must be over 80%.
- Preparation and active participation at all hands-on labs.
- Completion of all module tests.
- Missed classes are not replaced.
- Active partication on all hands-on labs.
- Half of points of all activity is required for credits.
Course inclusion in study plans