English for Europe
AEU Acad. year 2021/2022 Winter semester 3 credits
The course is focused on the development of the students' verbal and written communication skills and their further professional application within the wider framework of both Czech and European job markets. The central elements of the course consist in practising communication in the European cultural, business and legal environment and activities designed to describe and question European cultures in comparison with the Czech Republic (considering the Euro-American cultural context into account). The course provides the overview of the European Union institutions and their functions and presents the English language as the universal tool providing access to education and jobs to the Czech and Moravian university graduates. The coursework is based on the interpretation of written and audio-visual sources, discussion and personal opinion presentation.
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
The ability to find one's way in the European (and world) cultural and professional environment. The ability to use English in a wide range of everyday situations. The knowledge of various writing techniques. Improved ability to understand spoken English.
the student is able to describe EU institutions and knows the basic facts about their functioning
understands the relationships of the Euro-American cultural context
explains and describes the structure of a firm and its functioning, introduces its products and services to potential business partners
prepares documents connected with the job application procedures
is prepared for different situations connected with the job interview
responds adequately in problem solving (professional communication)
makes basic formal documents
discusses the problems of the legal system and environment
compares cultural environment of different countries and understands cultural differences
is able to discuss the problems of education
Vocabulary development and practising the general ability to work with language Encouraging the students to communicate actively. Further broadening of European horizons. Teaching the techniques of writing.
Why is the course taught
The course enables students to acquire professional vocabulary, language functions and language skills necessary for European (and world) cultural and professional environment.
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
The course knowledge required corresponds with the standards of the intermediate level course.
- Wellman, G.: The Heinemann English Wordbuilder. Praha, Státní pedagogické nakladatelství, 1991.
- Ashley, A. (2003) Oxford Handbook of Commercial Correspondence. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- English for business and economics. Prague: Oeconomica, nakladatelství VŠE, 2017. ISBN 978-80-245-2210-4.
- SWAN, Michael. Practical English usage. Fourth edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, . ISBN 978-0-19-420243-5.
- Kocmanová, M. and Pokorná, Z. (2004) Euro English. Praha: Ostrov.
Syllabus of numerical exercises
EU - information about the history of EU and functioning of its institutions
How to prepare a successful presentation
Professional communication, introducing a company, the structure of a company
Science and technology
Jobs, job application procedures, CV, job interview
Formal (business) communication
Law, crime, justice, legal proceedings
Cultural differences, intercultural communication
Schools and education
Health problems, health care
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Active participation in seminars (75%), semester test (min. 24, max. 40, semester test may be repeated only once), exam (min. 30, max. 60).
Course inclusion in study plans
- Programme BIT, 2nd year of study, Elective
- Programme IT-BC-3, field BIT, 2nd year of study, Elective
- Programme IT-MSC-2, field MBI, MBS, MGM, MIN, MIS, MMM, MPV, MSK, any year of study, Compulsory-Elective group H
- Programme MITAI, specialisation NADE, NBIO, NCPS, NEMB, NGRI, NHPC, NIDE, NISD, NISY, NMAL, NMAT, NNET, NSEC, NSEN, NSPE, NVER, NVIZ, any year of study, Elective