PPS Acad. year 2004/2005 Summer semester 5 credits
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
- Zendulka, J.: Software Engineering. Lecture notes in an electronic form.
- UML documentation.
- Pressman R.: Software Engineering. A Practitioner's Approach. Fourth Edition. McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1996, 852 p.
- Sommerville A.: Software Engineering. Fifth Edition. Addison-Wesley, 1996, 742 p.
- Fowler M., Scott K.: UML Destilled. Second Edition. A Brief User Guide to the Standard Object Modeling Language. Addison Wesley Longman Inc., 1999, 185 p.
- Rational Rose on-line help and documentation.
Syllabus of lectures
- Introduction, concepts. Software process models.
- Object-oriented (OO) and structured software development. Computer-based system engineering. Introduction to project management. Fundamentals of requirements analysis. The role of modelling in analysis and design.
- Fundamental concepts of the OO paradigm.
- Classification of OO methods and models. The UML modelling language - introduction.
- The UML - basic behavioural modelling (use case model). Object structure modelling (class and object diagram).
- The UML - object structure modelling (extension).
- The UML - behavioural modelling (interaction diagrams, activity diagram, state diagram).
- Survey of OO methods with emphasis on the analysis stage.
- Modelling techniques of structured analysis - functional and data modelling, behavioural modelling, data dictionary.
- Methods of structured analysis.
- Introduction to software design - concepts, effective modular design. Introduction to software architectures - layers and sections, client/server, multi-tier architectures, components. Architectural modelling in UML.
- Software quality assurance - formal review, verification, validation. Testing methods and strategies.
- Introduction to software maintenance. Introduction to project planning - software metrics, estimating.
Syllabus of computer exercises
- Selection of a project topic. Discussion of the topic.
- Introduction to the Rational Rose.
- UML use case model development in Rational Rose.
- UML class diagram development in Rational Rose.
- UML interaction diagrams development in Rational Rose.
- UML state diagram development in Rational Rose.
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
- Informal specification for a selected application.
- Documentation in UML developed in Rational Rose as a result of requirements analysis for the application.
- Design of tests.