New Headway Intermediate 2/2
IH3 Acad. year 2005/2006 Summer semester 3 credits
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
- Soars, L., Soars, J.: New Headway Intermediate, Student's Book. Oxford University Press, 1996.
- Pracovní technické listy (with the Czech support).
- Johnson, D.: General Engineering. English for Academic Purposes Series. Cassell Publishers Ltd, London, 1991.
- Britský aktuální tisk.
- Soars, L., Soars, J.: New Headway Intermediate (Student's Book, Teacher's Book, Workbook). Oxford University Press, 1996.
Syllabus of numerical exercises
- IH3 is a two-semester course block and for that reason 26 items are included.
- Auxiliary verbs "do, be, have", naming the tenses, questions and negatives, short answers. Social expressions.
- Wonders of the modern world in reading, speaking and listening. Writing: correcting mistakes.
- Present Simple and Continuous, action and state verbs, present passive. Vocabulary: sports. Numbers: money, fractions, decimals, phone numbers, dates. "Semiconductors": work with the text.
- Favourite sports and leisure activities in speaking and listening. Writing: describing a person. "Semiconductors": tasks.
- Past Simple, Continuous and Past Pefect; past passive. Vocabulary: art, music and literature. Giving opinions. "Diodes": work with the text.
- Art, music and litearure in reading and speaking. "Diodes": tasks.
- Modal verbs: obligation and permission. Vocabulary: adjectives that describe people; word formation. Requests and offers. "Fibre Optics": work with the text.
- How to behave properly in different parts of the world in reading, listening and speaking. Writing: filling in a form. "Fibre Optics": tasks.
- Future forms: "going to", "will", Present Continuous. Vocabulary: the weather, using public transport, requests in a hotel.
- Holidays and tourism in reading, listening and speaking. Writing: sending a fax.
- Questions with "like"; verb patterns. Vocabulary: words that go together.
- Food, cooking and restaurants in reading and speaking. Writing: describing a room (relative pronouns).
- Summer (1st semestr of course block study) semester test.
- Present Perfect Simple; Present Perfect passive. Vocabulary: multi-word verbs. Telephoning, leaving a message on an answer phone.
- Choosing a career in reading and speaking. Writing: formal letters; a letter of application.
- First Conditional and Second Conditional; time clauses. Vocabulary: base and strong adjectives. Making suggestions. "Electromagnetic Systems": work with the text.
- Charities and charitable causes in speaking and listening. Words that join ideas in writing. "Electromagnetic Systems": tasks.
- Probability (present and past) with the help of modal verbs. Vocabulary: character adjectives. "Solar Energy Systems": work with the text.
- Character qualities and a topic of a family in speaking and listening. Agreeing and disagreeing. "Solar Energy Systems": tasks.
- Present Perfect Continuous tense. Vocabulary: compound nouns. Complaining. "Laser": work with the text.
- Collectors and their collections; smoking in speaking and listening. Writing: beginning and ending formal and informal letters. "Laser": tasks.
- Indirect questions; question tags. Vocabulaty: idioms. Informal language.
- Forgetfulness in listening and speaking. Reading questions and answers from a science magazine. Writing: for and against.
- Reported speech. Vocabulary: words connected with birth, marriage and death.
- Customs connected with births, weddings and funerals in a discussion. Expressing saying sorry.
- Winter (2nd semestr of course block study) semester test.
Course inclusion in study plans