Functional and Logic Programming
FLP Acad. year 2006/2007 Summer semester 5 credits
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Generic learning outcomes and competences
- Programming Languages (PRJ)
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
- Lecture notes in electronic format
- Haskell (Hugs) language tutorial, http://www.haskell.org
- SWI-Prolog language tutorial, http://www.swi-prolog.org
- Thompson, S.: Haskell, The Craft of Functional Programming, ADDISON-WESLEY, 1999, ISBN 0-201-34275-8
- Hill, P., Lloyd, J.: The Gödel Programming Language, MIT Press, 1994, ISBN 0-262-08229-2
Syllabus of lectures
- Introduction to functional programming, lambda calculus
- Programming language Haskell, introduction, lists
- User-defined data types, type classes, arrays
- Simple applications/programs
- Proofs in functional programming
- Denotational semantics, implementation of functional languages
- Introduction to logic programming, Prolog
- Lists, cut operator, sorting
- Data structures, text strings, operators
- Searching state space, clause management, parsing
- Implementation of logic languages, CLP, conclusion
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
- A simple program in Haskell programming language (Hugs, GHC, GHCi).
- A simple program in Prolog/Gödel/CLP(R) (SWIPL, Gödel, CiaoProlog).
- Mid-term exam, for which there is only one schedule and, thus, there is no possibility to have another trial.
- Two projects should be solved and delivered in a given date during a term.
- Mid-term exam - written form, questions and exersises to be answered and solved (there are even questions with selection of one from several predefined answers), no possibility to have a second/alternative trial - 20 points.
- Projects realization - 2 projects, implementation of a simple program according to the given specification - one in a functional programming language the other in a logic programming language - 20 points all together.
- Final exam - written form, questions and exersises to be answered and solved (there are even questions with selection of one from several predefined answers), 2 another corrections trials possible - 60 points.