English: Headway Upper-Intermediate 1/2
JH4 Acad. year 2007/2008 Winter semester 3 credits
This is the standard course in upper-intermediate English which builds on what was learnt in previous English courses. Writing, pronunciation and presentation is improved upon too.
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Grammar is treated in greater depth, as are pronunciation, reading comprehension, vocabulary and vocabulary usage. The use of everyday social expressions and idioms, and the context in which they are use, are also an integral part of the course.
Learners at this level no longer examine language items in isolation. Reading, listening, pronunciation, grammar and writing are treated as a whole and in greater depth. Also, technical text themes are a required part of this course. This course, in combination with the First Certificate of English, prepares students for advanced interntational exams in the language. Moreover, it prepares students in understanding and presenting technical text material in English. Note: The course takes two semesters.
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
A knowledge of the intermediate English level.
- Department of Languages, FEEC: Technical Texts, UJAZ
- J. and L. Soars: New Headway Upper-Intermediate, Oxford University Press, 1998
J. and L. Soars: New Headway Upper-Intermediate, Oxford University Press, 1998
Syllabus of numerical exercises
- Unit 1, pp. 6-7
- Unit 1, pp. 8-15
- Unit 2, pp. 16-18
- Unit 2, pp. 19-26
- Unit 3, pp. 27-29, technical text "Tight Fit"
- Unit 3, pp. 30-37, technical text "Look, No Hands"
- Unit 4, pp. 38-40, technical text "Reeling in Satellites"
- Unit 4, pp. 41-46
- Unit 5, pp. 47-49
- Unit 5, pp. 50-57
- Unit 6, pp. 58-59
- Unit 6, pp. 60-61
- Autumn semester test written
- Unit 7, pp. 68-71
- Unit 7, pp. 72-76
- Unit 8, pp. 77-79
- Unit 8, pp. 80-87
- Unit 9, pp. 88-91
- Unit 9, pp. 92-97, technical text "The Big Picture"
- Unit 10, pp. 98-99, technical text "The End of the Chip"
- Unit 10, pp. 100-107, technical text "The Internet"
- Unit 11, pp. 108-111
- Unit 11, pp. 112-117
- Unit 12, pp. 118-120
- Unit 12, pp. 121-127
- Spring semester test written
- Two progress tests
- Stop and check
Each student must receive a minimum mark of 50% in both semester tests.