IFY Acad. year 2010/2011 Summer semester 5 credits
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
- Halliday, Resnick, Walker: Fyzika sympaticky, VUTIUM Brno and Prometheus 2001
- Přednáška ve formátu PowerPoint (in Czech)
- Halliday, Resnick, Walker: Fundamentals of Physics, John Wiley & Sons 1997
- Feynman, Leighton, Sands: The Feynman lectures on Physics 1-3, Addison-Wesley 1977
- Sears, Zemansky, Young: College Physics, Addison-Wesley 1980
Syllabus of lectures
- Quantities and units in physics. Mechanics of a particle. Laws of motion.
- Work and energy. Field of gravitation forces.
- Oscillations and waves. Interference. Acoustic waves, electromagnetic waves, matter waves. Doppler effect.
- Thermodynamic system. Heat, work, internal energy. Entropy. Principles of thermodynamics.
- Electric interaction. Charges and fields.Gauss' law. Potential. Conductors, dielectrics. Electric current.
- Magnetic interaction. Magnetic fields of electric currents. Ampere's law. Forces in magnetic fields. Electromagnetic induction.
- Light and optics. Reflection, mirror and diffusion components. Refraction, light absorption. Elements of fiber optics. Light polarization.
- Interference, diffraction. Optical gratings. Holography.
- Thermal radiation. Black body radiation, Planck's law, consequences. Photometry. Illumination and color.
- Elements of quantum physics. Wave properties of particles, the uncertainty principle. Barrier tunneling. Particle in a well.
- Electronic cloud and nucleus of the atom. Atomic spectra. X radiation.
- Physical statistics. Spontaneous and stimulated emission of light. Lasers.
- Elements of special theory of relativity. Length conctraction. Time dilation.
Syllabus of numerical exercises
- Scalars, vectors. Basic operations.
- Position vector. Linear momentum. Newton's laws. Work, energy, power. Friction.
- Waves, characteristic quantities. The Doppler acoustic effect. Plane electromagnetic wave.
- Ideal and real gas, equation of state. Work, heat, internal energy. Entropy.
- Electric charges and forces. Potential, work of electric forces. Motion of charges.
- Magnetic fields of electric currents. Motion of electric charges in magnetic fields. Electromagnetic induction.
- Snell's laws. Total internal reflection.
- Diffraction gratings, slits.
- Black body radiation. Thermal and radiation power. Wien's law.
- The quantum well. Microscopic quantum wells and structures.
- Radiation of atoms, spectra.
- Physical statistics. Comparison.
- Relativistic applications.
Syllabus of laboratory exercises
- Speed of light. Dispersion of light. Ray optics experiments.
- Experiments in thermodynamics. The Stirling engine.
- Study of magnetic domains by means of video-microscope.
- Fiber optics experimental set OPTEL.
- Interference and diffraction of light and microwaves. The Michelson experiment. Holograms.
- Light polarization. Absorption (using lasers).
- Photoeffect. Planck's constant.
- X-ray radiation. Absorption, dispersion and reflection.
- Mid-term examination: 20 points.
- Laboratory practice: 20 points.
- Final examination: 60 points.
Limit to pass (as to ECTS): 50 points.
Course inclusion in study plans