Multimedia Transmission over IP Networks
IMU Acad. year 2010/2011 Summer semester 4 credits
Audio and video standards. Online streaming, video on demand. RSTP Protocol. Videoconferences - H.323, SIP, MPEG, mirrors, MBone tools, Access Grids. Tools for communication. Principles of IP telephony. Voice encoding and transmission over IP. IP telephony architecture. Quality of service - integrated and differenciated services. Tools for IP telephony.
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Students are familiar with applications and protocols for video and voice transmission over IP networks. They are able to setup multipoint videoconference, oneway voice and video transmission in HD quality. They are able to connect and configure all communication components.
The course aims to introduce students technologies for video and voice transmission over IP networks. Labs will be focused on configuration video and voice communication using dedicated hardware devices and software applications.
- Signals and Systems (ISS)
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
- Principles and application of Unix and Windows operating systems
- Studying texts and documents in English
- Network architecture - ISO/OSI model, TCP/IP
- Unicast and multicast transmisssion
- Jeremy Cioara, Michael J. Cavanaugh, Kris A. Krake: CCNA Voice Official Exam Certification Guide (640-460 IIUC), Cisco Press 2009.
- Wendell Odom, Michael J. Cavanaugh: Cisco QOS Exam Certification Guide (IP Telephony Self-Study), 2nd Edition, Cisco Press, 2004
- Firestone, Scott. Voice and video conferencing fundamentals / 1st ed. Indianapolis : Cisco Press, 2007
- Simpson, Wes. Video over IP :IPTV, internet video, H.264, P2P, and streaming: a complete guide to understanding the technology / 2nd ed. Amsterdam : Focal Press, 2008
Syllabus of lectures
- Introduction to multimedia transmissions.
- Real-time audio and video streaming, MPEG-2 TS, SAP/SDP.
- Video on Demand, RTP, RTCP, RSTP.
- Videoconferences, H.323.
- Videoconferences - MBone, MPEG, VRVS, Access Grid.
- Virtual environment for colaboration. Audio-video devices in computer networks.
- Principles and architecture of IP telephony. Configuration of Cisco CME.
- Advanced IP telephony services. Conferences, call switching.
- Encoding. Measuring quality of voice transmissions.
- Quality of Services for multimedia transmissions.
- IP telephony in practice, software PBX Asterisk.
Syllabus of laboratory exercises
- Online streaming, encoders, VLC.
- Video on Demand (VoD), VLC, RTSP server.
- MS Expression Encoder, Windows Media Services
- Videoconferences, H.323
- Fundamentals of configuration of Cisco devices.
- Fundamentals of configuration of Cisco Call Manager Express.
- Advanced IP telephony services using CCME.
- Small VoIP PBXs, connection to GSM.
- Software PBX Asterisk.
Course inclusion in study plans