Design of Computer Systems
INP Acad. year 2010/2011 Winter semester 5 credits
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Generic learning outcomes and competences
- Digital Systems Design (INC)
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
- Vladimír Drábek: Computer organization, lecture notes of Brno University of Technology, PC-DIR publ., Brno, 1995
- John L. Hennessy, David A. Patterson: Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach, 2nd edition, Morgan Kaufmann Publ., 1996
- Hamacher C., Vranesic Z., Zaky S.: Computer Organization, 5th edition, McGraw Hill, 2002
Syllabus of lectures
- Introduction, processor and its function.
- Data representation, accuracy and errors.
- Instruction sets, register structures.
- Modelling in VHDL.
- Pipelined processing.
- Algorithms of fixed point operations.
- Algorithms of floating point operations, iterative algorithms.
- Memories, cache memory.
- Buses, peripheral interfacing and control.
- Computer performance and performance evaluation.
- Reliability of computer systems.
- Introduction to parallel architectures.
Syllabus of numerical exercises
- Processor in VHDL
- Huffman code, Hamming code, modular arithmetics
- Adders and multipliers
- Iterative algorithms
- Pipelined processing
- Performance evaluation, reliability
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
- Two projects will be assigned during the semester.
Plagiarism and not allowed cooperation will cause that involved students are not classified and disciplinary action can be initiated.
Course inclusion in study plans