IPZ Acad. year 2010/2011 Winter semester 4 credits
The attention is paid especially to the principles of construction and control of peripheral devices (disc memories, monitors, graphic adapters) and their controllers. The inclusion of peripheral device controller into the computer architecture, communication with processor.The attention is also paid to the description and utilisation of system and I/O buses of computers for the control of peripheral oprations: communication on the bus, principles of bus allocation, DMA, interrupt requests. Disc memories, recording methods, the construction of disc memory, parameters, communication between controller and disc memory, register model of disc memory. Displays, graphic adapters and their structure, development stages. The principles of communication between peripheral device controller and a peripheral device, examples of interfaces: parallel ATA, serial ATA, USB, Centronics and its versions, SCSI.
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Students will learn how to utilize knowledge gained by studying hardware oriented courses dealing with the construction of computer systems. They will become acquainted with both classical and modern technologies of controlling peripheral devices together with the construction of peripheral devices. They will learn how to utilize this information for other activities like the design of external adapters or developing drivers of peripheral devices. They will be provided with the information on trends in peripheral devices design and their utilization in computer systems.
To develop the knowledge gained in the courses dealing with the construction of computers, to present the principles of communication between processor and peripheral devices controllers. To describe principles of system buses, primarily PCI and PCI Express. To explain principles of controlling peripheral operations together with some types of peripheral interfaces (Centronics and its evolutionary stages, HDD interfaces, SCSI bus, USB, Firewire). To provide students with the information on principles of constructing peripheral devices (HDD, monitors, printers).
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
The knowledge of digital circuits construction and the components of computers. The knowledge of basic principles of communication on system buses.
- Kotásek, Z.: Texts of lectures in electronic form. Study support available at: http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/study/courses/IPZ/public/
- William Buchanan: Applied PC, Interfacing, Graphics and Interrupts, Addison-Wesley, 1996, Anglie, ISBN 0-201-87728-7, 383 pages
- Tom Shanley: PCI-X System Architecture, Addison-Wesley, 2004, Anglie, ISBN 0201726823, 688 stran
- John Hyde: USB Design by Example, INTEL PRESS, 2001, ISBN 0-9702846-5-9, 510 stran
- Friedhelm Schmidt: SCSI Bus & IDE Interface, Addison-Wesley, 1998, Anglie, ISBN 0-201-17514-2, 396 stran
- Knut Grimsrud, Hubbert Smith: Serial ATA Storage Architecture and Applications, INTEL PRESS, 2006, ISBN 0-9717861-8-6, 357 stran
- Burkhard Kainka: Měření, řízení a regulace pomocí sběrnice USB, BEN, 2002, ISBN 80-7300-073-3
- Don Anderson: SATA Storage Technology, Mindshare Press, 2007, ISBN 978-0-9770878-1-5, 463 stran
- Bruce Jacob, Spencer W. Ng, David T. WAng: Memory Systems, Cache, Dram, Disk, Elsevier, 2008, ISBN 978-0-12-379751-3, 981 stran
- Michael Gook: Hardwarová rozhraní, Computer Press, 2006, ISBN 80-251-1019-2, 463 stran
- Hans-Peter Messmer: The Indispensable PC Hardware Book, Addison-Wesley, 1997, Anglie, ISBN 0-201-40399-4, 1384 pages
- Linda Null, Julia Lobur: The Essentials of Computer Organization and Architecture, Jones and Bartlett Publishers International, 2006, ISBN 978-0-7637-3769-6, 799 stran
Syllabus of lectures
- The Types of Peripheral Devices, Their Function in a Computer System.
- Centronics Interface, RS-232 Interface.
- EPP, ECP Interfaces.
- Graphic Adapters, Monitors.
- AGP Bus.
- Printers, the Construction and Control.
- IDE and SCSI Buses.
- Hard Disc Drives, Recording Methods, HDD Control.
- The Structure of Hard Disc Drives.
- Optical Memories, Recording Methods.
- Plotters, Digitizers, Scanners.
- Principles of Communication in Technology Environment.
- Mid-term written exam: 30 points
- Final written exam: 66 points
- Labs: 4 points
Course inclusion in study plans