IST Acad. year 2010/2011 Summer semester 4 credits
Pure object orientation. Smalltalk - language. Smalltalk - programming environment. Programming in Smalltalk. Debugging and maintenance. Smalltalk - class library. Programming techniques,development of applications.
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Ability to aply pure object-orientation in design and implementation of highly portable applications with GUI even with web interface. Ability to prototype applications. Ability to easily adapt to another object-oriented programming language.
To learn programming in pure object-oriented language Smalltalk and using basic design patterns.
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
Ability to program in arbitrary programming language.
- Wilf LaLonde and John Pugh: Inside Smalltalk, Vol. 1, Prentice Hall, 1990 (ISBN: 0134684141).
- Adele Goldberg and Dave Robson: Smalltalk-80: The Language. Addison Wesley, 1989, ISBN 0-201-13688-0, 585 pages.
Syllabus of lectures
- Pure object-orientation.
- Smalltalk - language and system.
- Smalltalk - programming environment.
- Programming in Smalltalk.
- Debugging and maintenance.
- Smalltalk - basic classes, programming techniques.
- GUI architecture.
- Development of applications with GUI.
- Parallel and distributed programming, network applications.
- Development of applications with web interface.
- Interoperability, databases.
- Summary, conclusion.
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
- A small application in Smalltalk.
Working application in Smalltalk, written test.
Course inclusion in study plans