Professional English for Electrical Engineering and Computer Science 2/2
JA9 Acad. year 2010/2011 Summer semester 3 credits
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
- New Headway Intermediate 2 (BAN4)
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
Syllabus of lectures
- Letters, faxes and memos (layout and style).
- Students' qualifications. Translations: word order.
- Curriculum Vitae. Agreement and disagreement.
- Translations: long subject followed by short predicate; concord of the verb "to be".
- Telephoning, answer phone. Numbers.
- A Letter of Job Application.
- Expressing a request. Translations: verbal noun, gerund.
- Socializing. Translations: imperative, compound nouns.
- Making arrangements. Czenglish: verbal phrases I.
- Instructions. Czenglish: verbal phrases II.
- Seminar skills.
- Meetings: to discuss problems and decide what action to take.
- Autumn semester test written.
- Making notes. Punctuation.
- Employment policy, company's activities. Contrasting ideas.
- Participating in Interviews: background information.
- Conducting an Interview. Words that join ideas.
- Key features of an effective presentation.
- Making a good introduction of a presentation.
- Ways of organizing a presentation.
- Visual aids.
- Effective ending to a presentation.
- The research article abstract (functions, content and organization, grammar and style, vocabulary).
- Academic reading: prediction, skimming, scanning, deducing unknown words.
- Writing a report.
- Course evaluation student questionnaire.
Syllabus of numerical exercises
- Needs Analysis Questionnaire. Writing a formal letter.
- Speaking about family background, qualifications, other special skills and hobbies.
- Writing C.V. Agreement and disagreement in practice.
- Presenting C.V. Translation activities. Listening: locating objects.
- To make contact and exchange information over the phone. Numbers-practice.
- Practice of single parts, phrases and expressions used in a letter of application.
- Distribution of newspaper job advertisements and writing a letter of job application. Translation activities. Expressing a request.
- Holding social conversations with business contacts; interests and routines. Translation activities.
- Arranging and re-arranging a schedule.
- Following instructions. At the Airport. Translation activities.
- Seminar skills:indicating non-comprehension, asking for clarification, questioning, disagreeing.
- Taking part in a meeting: solving a problem, recommending an action, justifying decisions, making suggestions.
- Autumn semester test written.
- Making notes; using notes to write a report. Punctuation marks.
- Getting to know the workplace; different kinds of companies; company organization. Contrasting ideas-practice.
- Participating in interviews. Areas interviewers focus on: past, future, worth, personality. Useful phrases and expressions.
- Participating in interviews. Advice before attending an interview; difficult questions at an interview; extracts from two interviews-assessment. Words that join ideas-practice.
- Effective presentations: presenting background information. Review of time expressions and tenses.
- Effective presentations: preparing and giving an introduction; introducing yourself and your talk.
- Effective presentations: key words and phrases for linking ideas; giving a presentation on a subject of student's choice.
- Showing how to design and use visual aids. Describing graphs, charts and trends.
- Effective presentations: the language of ending it. Preparing and giving the ending of a presentation on a subject of student's choice.
- Activating and sharing students' knowledge on an abstract. Exploiting various semi-technical abstracts.
- Reading a journal article; writing an abstract for it.
- Planning and editing a report.
- Spring semester test written. Course evaluation student questionnaire.
- Self assessment-grading the following things related to students' effort and attitude: participation in class, use of English in class, homework, working in groups.
- Vocabulary achievement test.