JA3 Acad. year 2010/2011 Summer semester 3 credits
Characteristics of native-speaker conversation, idioms of the spoken language, the differences between the Czech and English languages and presentations are done here. This course is a specialized one.
Language of instruction
Course Web Pages
Generic learning outcomes and competences
Students will develop the ability to speak English fluently and confidently, especially in less formal contexts. The activities will also increase the students' sensitivity to the way conversations work.
A variety of themes which are connected with the habits and customs of everyday life.
- New Headway Intermediate 2 (BAN4)
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
The prerequisite for this course is a higher knowledge at the BAN4 level.
- Klippel, F.: Keep Talking. Cambridge University Press, 1984.
- Nolasco, R.: Conversation. Oxford University Press, 1987.
Syllabus of numerical exercises
- Students learn about the aims of the course.
- Describing and giving reasons for one's aims in life. Finding solutions to a problem.
- Agreeing on a shared holiday. Ranking places for a sightseeing tour.
- Choosing someone for a job.
- Ranking objects.
- Memory, insight into the process of communication. Recognizing the functions of gestures in English.
- Ways of being polite in social encounters. Social behaviour in the target language.
- Problems people encounter when living in a new country. Assessing the progress of students in the course. A cross-cultural discussion about gifts and giving.
- To get students to share opinions. Sharing opinions on family. Telling each other about emotions.
- Promoting discussion about inventions. Showing empathy. Things students value in their daily lives. Discussing priorities for the future.
- Deciding on individual responsibility for a tragedy. A conflict situation in having to decide what to do.
- Discussing the role of secretaries at work. Planning a short holiday.
- To be announced.
Semester tests ... 40 points.
Final exam ... 60 points.
To pass this course one needs a minimum of 50 % in all activities.
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Active participation in seminars, semester tests with the pass mimimum of 50% (= 20 points).
Course inclusion in study plans