English for North America
ASA Acad. year 2011/2012 Summer semester 3 credits
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
Syllabus of numerical exercises
- Political Systems. Differences between the United States and Canada and comparison with Europe. Attitudes towards their own sovereignty.
- Comparison of American English and British English-with a comparison of Canadian English too. Greetings/Telephoning.
- Geography of the USA. Comparison of different regions in the country. Demography, ethnic and religious background of population.
- Geography of Canada. Comparison of different regions in the country. Differences between Quebec and the rest of Canada. Linguistic issues.
- Traveling across the USA and Canada. Use of buses, trains and cars. Natural and man-made sites to visit. How to respond and react as a tourist?
- Technological feats-the building of the Hoover Dam given as one example. Other major technological feats in North America.
- Educational system. Differences between North America and Europe. Requirement for entrance into universities.
- Employment in North America. What are the necessary requirements? What type of engineers are needed? Presentation of C.V., going to interviews, etc.
- Invitations and restaurants. How to make and respond to an invitation? Different attitudes towards food in different parts of each country.
- Recreational and cultural activities in the United States and Canada. Sports, music, national holidays, other freetime activities.
- Taboos. Political correctness in the areas of sex and gender, religion, politics and alcohol. Race relations and multiculturalism.
- Review of above topic areas for semester test.
- Semester test for course written.
- 40% semester test,
- 60% exam.