English for PhD Students
JA6D Acad. year 2011/2012 Winter semester
Writing course for postgraduate and intermediate students.Various writing skills are trained and developed during the course: taking notes, summary, reports and articles, description of a process or instrument.
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Ability to distinguish various writing styles,reconstruct the text on the base of taken notes, write a summary, a report, article and also make a good presentation.
Acquiring different skills necessary for writing: reading comprehension and summary, controlled writing, free composition and presentation. Note: this is a two-semester course
- New Headway Intermediate 2 (BAN4)
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
Knowledge to be able in active conversation.
- Sparling, D.: English or Czenglish?, Praha, SPN, 1989
- Hladký, J.: Zrádná slova v angličtině, Praha, SPN, 1990
- Maley, A.: Writing Intermediate, Upper-Intermediate. Oxford Supplementary Skills. OUP, 1990
- Leki, I.: Academic Writing, Cambridge University Press, 2006
- 75% attendance
- Active participation in the seminars
- Self-study and fulfilling the set written tasks