Information Education and Literacy
IVG Acad. year 2023/2024 Winter semester 1 credits
The course is designed as a nine-week e-learning course. Teaching primarily focuses on the practical use of information resources, institutions and services provided by them, with aiming the Faculty of Information Technology. The objective is to teach students to work with other available electronic information resources with the possibility of their practical use in the study or professional work.
Language of instruction
- 13 hrs projects
- 40 pts written tests
- 60 pts projects
To be information literate means to realize when and why you need information, to be able to find relevant information, to learn to recognize quality information, and to be able to enjoy and process it. The aim of the subject is to learn to recognize and understand the information needs, to be able to navigate through the available sources of information, to learn to seek properly from these sources, to recognize the quality of the results found, to be able to process correctly the results, to learn how to use and share information responsibly and ethically correctly.
After completing the course, the students will be able to:
- Know and use their professional information sources in classical and electronic form,
- effectively use a variety of search tools,
- know the basics of theoretical texts,
- navigate in the environment of libraries and BUT libraries,
- understand the ethical and legal issues from the world of information and information technology.
Why is the course taught
The information obtained in the course will make it easier for students to study at FIT.
Prerequisite knowledge and skills
We expect that students have the high school level knowledge of using computers.
- KRČÁL, Martin a Zuzana TEPLÍKOVÁ. Naučte (se) citovat. 1. vyd. Blansko: Citace.com, 2014, 156 s.,  s. příl., ISBN 978-80-260-6074-1.
- ČSN ISO 690. Informace a dokumentace - Pravidla pro bibliografické odkazy a citace informačních zdrojů. Praha: Úřad pro technickou normalizaci, metrologii a státní zkušebnictví, 2011. Třídicí znak 01 0197.
- ÚŘAD PRO TECHNICKOU NORMALIZACI, METROLOGII A STÁTNÍ ZKUŠEBNICTVÍ [ÚNMZ]. ČSN ISO 690:2022, Informace a dokumentace - Pravidla pro bibliografické odkazy a citace informačních zdrojů. Česká agentura pro standardizaci, 2022.
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
- Information institutions
- Text creation
Students have to do all assignments.
Scoring written assignments and tests. Exam prerequisites: To get the credit, the student must meet both of the following requirements: - To do all tasks and tests, - to get at least 85 points the sum of all written assignments and tests (at least 85 points out of 100).
E-Learning course, no controlled participation in lectures. Knowledge of learners is verified with tests and written assignments.
To get the credit, the student must meet both of the following requirements:
- To do all tasks and tests
- to get at least 85 points the sum of all written assignments and tests (at least 85 points out of 100).
Course inclusion in study plans