Headway Pre-Intermediate 2
BAN2 Acad. year 2022/2023 Winter semester 3 credits
The course is focused on the basic knowledge of grammar: tenses, time and conditional clauses, infinitive, reported statements, articles, etc. The students' ability to communicate in everyday situations is developed as well as the writing of letters, CV and filling in forms. The students will work with technical texts to get acquainted with basic technical terminology.
Language of instruction
- 26 hrs exercises
- 60 pts final exam
- 40 pts mid-term test
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
The students' ability to communicate in everyday situations will be developed. They will master the basic grammatical structures and new vocabulary, both general and technical.
The course for lower intermediate students (BAN2) is aimed at learning basic vocabulary and grammar and at developing the four language skills, reading, writing, speaking and listening. The students will learn the basic technical terminology.
Why is the course taught
The course enables students to acquire professional vocabulary, language functions and language skills necessary for active participation in seminars, lectures and other activities in the information and communication technology sector.
- Headway Pre-Intermediate 1 (BAN1)
Prerequisite knowledge and skills
To pass the BAN1 course or to acquire "21 - 30" points in the entrance language test (instruction is in Czech only).
Recommended prerequisite: Headway Pre-Intermediate 1
- Murphy, R.: Essential Grammar in Use. With answers. Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- K.Harding and R.Appleby: International Express Pre-Intermediate. Third edition. Student´s book.OUP 2014
- Pro samostatnou domácí práci: materiál v IS VUT
- PaedDr.A.Baumgartnerová:Studijní materiály pro výuku a samostatnou práci v předmětu BAN2.
- K.Harding and R.Appleby: International Express Pre-Intermediate. Third edition, Student's Book, Units 6 - 10 . OUP 2014
Syllabus of numerical exercises
- Unit 7: Present Perfect Simple in contrast with Past Simple. Agreeing and disagreeing.
- Unit 7: Present Perfect Simple - practice. Description of graphs. Characteristics of companies.
- Unit 8: Modal verbs, explanation and basic practice. Word formation and work with a dictionary.
- Unit 8: Modal verbs, practice. Nationalities and different cultures. Reactions to invitations.
- Review: Units 5 - 8.
- Unit 9: Present Perfect Simple and Continuous. Word collocations. Offers and requests.
- Unit 10: Present Perfect and Continuous, practice. Future, revision. Asking for information.
- Unit 10: 1st Conditional. Prepositions of place. The age and population.
- Unit 11: 1st Conditional, practice. 2nd Conditional. Description of cities.
- Unit 11: 2nd Conditional, practice. Social responses.
- Unit 12: Passives: Present Simple, Past Simple, Present Perfect, Future. Word building.
- Unit 12: Passives, practice. Thanking for hospitality, saying goodbye. Review, summary.
- Semester test.
Teaching methods include language seminars and homework. Students have to actively participate inclasses.Compulsory seminar are held every week and students are obliged to fulfill achievements as part of theirhomestudy.
Credit test: 24 - 40 points.
- listening comprehension: 15 - 30 points,
- reading comprehension: 15 - 30 points.
Course inclusion in study plans
- Programme BIT, 2nd year of study, Compulsory-Elective group A
- Programme BIT (in English), 2nd year of study, Compulsory-Elective group A
- Programme IT-BC-3, field BIT, 2nd year of study, Compulsory-Elective group A