Electrical Engineering Tutorial
BPC-ELSA FEKT BPC-ELSA Acad. year 2022/2023 Winter semester 2 credits
The course will enable graduates of secondary schools to understand the basics of electrical engineering and gain practical skills in implementing simple laboratory experiments.
Language of instruction
- 13 hrs exercises
- 13 hrs laboratories
Marcoň Petr, doc. Ing., Ph.D. (UTEE)
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
After completing the course student will be able to:
- Describe the properties of ideal and real circuit elements
- Involve simple tasks according to the specified schema
- Measure and discuss electric parameters in stationary circuits
- Define terms such as phasor, impedance
- Describe and explain the concepts of active, reactive and apparent power, power factor, efficiency.
- Apply circuit simulator for solving simple circuits,
- Analyze simple stationary circuits,
- Discuss the properties of magnetic materials ,
- Explain the basic principles of digital instruments and identify their parts,
- Calculate the behavior of simple RLC circuits during the transition,
- Calculate simple magnetic circuit.
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with basis of electrical engineering and to acquire basic principles of practical experimental realizations.
Prerequisite knowledge and skills
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required. In the range of the used mathematical tools students should be able to:
- editing mathematical expressions;
- calculate the solution of simple linear equations ;
- apply the basics of matrix calculus;
- calculate the derivative, definite and indefinite integrals of simple linear functions of one variable and basic trigonometric functions.
Syllabus of seminars
1) Administrative. Connecting of measuring devices. Introduction to electrical engineering
2) The generation, transmission and distribution of electrical energy. Three-phase system.
3) Ideal and real RLC circuit elements. Basic circuit laws. Resistance, current, voltage and power measurement.
4) Stationary steady state: a method of progressive simplification, voltage and current dividers, real power source.
5) Time variables: basic characteristics, harmonic analysis, spectrum.
6) Harmonic steady state: a symbolic analysis method for linear circuits, circuit laws in symbolic form, impedance, admittance.
7) Harmonic steady state: a method of progressive simplification, efficiency and power factor, phasor diagrams.
8) Harmonic steady state: laboratory course.
9) Simulation of electrical circuits. MicroCap.
10) Properties of passive linear circuits of order 1. and 2. Frequency filters, resonant circuits.
11) Transients in linear circuits of order 1. and 2. Classic method of solving.
12) Introduction to digital technology: basic concepts, converters A/D and D/A, digital measuring instruments
13) Magnetic circuits: basic parameters, the fundamental laws, magnetic circuits with permanent magnets, transformers, magnetic circuits solution.
To obtain the examination is necessary to measure and evaluate the required number of labs and develop a specified number of computational examples.
Teaching methods and criteria
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations. Form of teaching is combined - every lesson starts with lecture and is completed by numerical and/or laboratory practice. Course is taking advantage of eLearning (Moodle).
Attendance at laboratory classes is mandatory. Properly excused absences can be substituted, usually in the last week of the semester.
|Mon||exercise||odd week||T12/SC 2.86||07:00||08:50||26||1BIA 1BIB 2BIA 2BIB 3BIT||xx||Marcoň|
|Mon||laboratory||even week||T12/SC 2.86||07:00||08:50||26||1BIA 1BIB 2BIA 2BIB 3BIT||xx||Marcoň|
|Wed||exercise||odd week||T12/SC 2.86||08:00||09:50||26||1BIA 1BIB 2BIA 2BIB 3BIT||xx||Janoušek|
|Wed||laboratory||even week||T12/SC 2.86||08:00||09:50||26||1BIA 1BIB 2BIA 2BIB 3BIT||xx||Janoušek|
|Wed||exercise||odd week||T12/SC 2.86||10:00||11:50||26||1BIA 1BIB 2BIA 2BIB 3BIT||xx||Janoušek|
|Wed||laboratory||even week||T12/SC 2.86||10:00||11:50||26||1BIA 1BIB 2BIA 2BIB 3BIT||xx||Janoušek|
|Wed||exercise||odd week||T12/SC 2.86||12:00||13:50||26||1BIA 1BIB 2BIA 2BIB 3BIT||xx||Janoušek|
|Wed||laboratory||even week||T12/SC 2.86||12:00||13:50||26||1BIA 1BIB 2BIA 2BIB 3BIT||xx||Janoušek|
|Thu||exercise||odd week||T12/SC 2.86||12:00||13:50||26||1BIA 1BIB 2BIA 2BIB 3BIT||xx||Marcoň|
|Thu||laboratory||even week||T12/SC 2.86||12:00||13:50||26||1BIA 1BIB 2BIA 2BIB 3BIT||xx||Marcoň|
|Thu||exercise||odd week||T12/SC 2.86||14:00||15:50||26||1BIA 1BIB 2BIA 2BIB 3BIT||xx||Janoušek|
|Thu||laboratory||even week||T12/SC 2.86||14:00||15:50||26||1BIA 1BIB 2BIA 2BIB 3BIT||xx||Janoušek|
Course inclusion in study plans
- Programme BIT, 1st year of study, Elective
- Programme BIT (in English), 1st year of study, Elective
- Programme IT-BC-3, field BIT, 1st year of study, Elective