Microprocessors and Embedded Systems (in English)
IMPe Acad. year 2022/2023 Summer semester 6 credits
Embedded systems, introduction, applications. Microcontroller architecture. Memory subsystem. Programmers model, programming of the ARM core. Stack. Interrupt subsystem and its programming. On chip peripheral devices and their programming: system clock generator, timer, communication interface UART, IIC and SPI, analogue and digital input and output, RTC module. Programming techniques for embedded systems in C language.
Language of instruction
- 26 hrs lectures
- 6 hrs exercises
- 8 hrs laboratories
- 12 hrs projects
- 55 pts final exam (written part)
- 15 pts mid-term test (written part)
- 16 pts labs
- 14 pts projects
Šimek Václav, Ing. (UPSY)
Course Web Pages
Course plan/schedule and study materials (is continuously updated)
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
- Students are familiar with general structure of microcontrollers and with the techniques of embedded systems design.
- Students are capable to design and debug the routines and initialization routine for each peripheral device. They are skilled in utilizing of basic debugging techniques for the application programs written in C language.
- Understanding of design specificity of embedded systems using microcontrollers and techniques of application debugging.
To give the students the knowledge of architecture of different microcontrollers. To acquaint with performance of individual subsystems namely CPU- programming model, flash memory, timer, interrupt subsystem, communication interface, AD converter. Make students familiar with basic rules and programming techniques in a high-level language C as well as with embedded system design.
- Machine Level Programming (ISU)
- Design of Computer Systems (INP)
Prerequisite knowledge and skills
To be familiar with the structure of CPU and other computer components, basics of electronics and machine-level programming. The basic knowledge of programming in C language.
- J.W. Valvano, Embedded Systems: Real Time Interfacing to ARM Cortex-M Microcontrollers, ISBN 978-1463590154, 2017.
- Přednáškové materiály, materiály z democvičení a HW cvičení.
- Studijní materiály publikované firmou Freescale/NXP.
- Cortex-M0+ Devices Generic Users Guide, dostupné on-line: http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dui0662b/index.html
Syllabus of lectures
- Introduction into Embedded systems.
- ARM Core for microcontrollers.
- Memory subsystem and interrupts.
- Programming in C.
- Communication intefraces.
- FITkit programming.
- Digital inputs and outputs, ports.
- Timers, counters.
- Analogue input and output.
- System clock and clock generation.
- Power supply and power consmption of embedded systems.
- Practical aspects of embedded systems design.
- Real-time systems.
Syllabus of numerical exercises
- Acquaintance with available technical equipment (measuring devices, development boards).
- Basics of creating and debugging embedded applications.
- Advanced embedded topics in the area of embedded systems - development of critical systems, analysis, profiling.
Syllabus of laboratory exercises
- Introduction to lab kit, serial communication.
- Digital input/output.
- Timer, PWM.
- Analogue input.
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
- Individual twelve-hour project.
- 4 laboratory assignments with the defense, with due-date submission to IS (16 points max),
- 1 mid-term written test (15 points max),
- 1 project with defense and due-date submission to IS (14 points max).
- Wriiten exam (55 points max) - a minimum of 15 points is required to pass the exam.
- Following activities are monitored: the attendance and activity during lectures, laboratories and the progress of project-related works.
- Skills of students are verified using the short-range technical reports, mid-term test, project and final exam. To pass the final exam, at least 15 points must be obtained; otherwise, the final exam will be evaluated by 0 points.
- A prospective reimbursement of absences caused by an obstacle in the study is going to be realized according to the nature of the obstacle and lessons involved, e.g. by setting a substitute term or assigning a separate (homework) task. A solution to other kind of absence is not arranged herein, i.e., it is neither excluded nor guaranteed.
- No condition applies.
|Mon||exam||2023-05-15||L306.1||12:00||13:30||Závěrečná zkouška (řádný termín)|
|Mon||exam||2023-05-29||L306.1||12:00||13:30||Závěrečná zkouška (1. opravný termín)|
|Mon||exam||2023-06-05||L306.1||12:00||13:30||Závěrečná zkouška (2. opravný termín)|
|Mon||lecture||1., 2., 3., 4., 5., 6., 7., 8., 9., 11., 12. of lectures||L306.1||12:00||13:50||9999||INTE||xx||Strnadel|
|Mon||exercise||4., 6., 8. of lectures||L306.1||14:00||15:50||20||INTE||xx||Strnadel|
|Mon||laboratory||5., 7., 9., 11. of lectures||L306.1||14:00||15:50||9999||INTE||xx||Šimek|