DS_2 Acad. year 2022/2023 Winter semester 5 credits
Basic terms: relational and multidimensional database model, operational database, data warehouse, data mart, building and running of a data warehouse, modelling a data warehouse - multidimensional model, data cube, OLAP analysis, data mining.
Language of instruction
- 13 hrs lectures
- 26 hrs exercises
- 60 pts final exam (written part)
- 20 pts mid-term test (written part)
- 20 pts seminars in computer labs
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Students understand the importance of data warehouses, OLAP techniques and data mining and are able to use it.
Understanding the basic theory of data warehouses and acquirement of practical skills in their design and usage, understanding the basics of OLAP techniques and data mining.
Prerequisite knowledge and skills
Ponniah, P.: Data Warehousing Fundamentals. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2001, 516 s. ISBN 0-471-41254-6
Humphries, M., Hawkins, M. W. a kol.: Data warehousing, Principy a praxe. Computer Press, 2002, 256 s. ISBN 8072265601.
Syllabus of lectures
1. Basic terms of data warehousing. Relationship of data warehouses and operational databases.
2. Architecture of a data warehouse. Modelling of data warehouses.
3. ETL process during creating data warehouse.
4. OLAP tachnics and OLAP operations over a data cube.
5. A case study about using of data warehouses.
6. Introduction to the design of data warehouses.
7. Introduction to data mining in data warehouses.
Syllabus of numerical exercises
1. Repetition of relational databases and SQL.
2. Data warehousing and OLAP usage analysis in Microsoft tools.
3. Use MS Excel for OLAP analysis.
4. Individual project to create a data warehouse.
5. Use of methods data mining tools in an environment of Microsoft.
6. Individual project on data mining.
During the semester, students can obtain up to 40 points, including 20 points from the mid-term test consisting of questions and examples of the themes of the first half of the semester and 20 points from the projects to exercise (one to create a data warehouse and OLAP usage techniques and the other on data mining). On the credit you need to get 20 points. Final written exam for 60 points includes all topics covered in lectures and in seminars.
Teaching methods and criteria
The course contains lectures that explain basic principles, problems and methodology of the discipline, and exercises that promote the practical knowledge of the subject presented in the lectures.
Design and presentation of projects in due dates. Students can work on the projects in their own free time.
Pro zápočet je vyžadováno získání 20 bodů za aktivity během semestru.
|Tue||exam||2023-01-10||E112||13:00||15:00||DS_2 -- 1. termín|
|Thu||exercise||3., 4., 5., 6., 7., 8., 10., 11., 12. of lectures||N204 N205||08:00||09:50||31||Bartík|
|Thu||exercise||3., 4., 5., 6., 7., 8., 10., 11., 12. of lectures||N204 N205||10:00||11:50||31||Bartík|
|Thu||exercise||3., 4., 5., 6., 7., 8., 10., 11., 12. of lectures||N204 N205||12:00||13:50||31||Bartík|