Wireless and Mobile Networks
BMS Acad. year 2023/2024 Winter semester 5 credits
Description of most used wireless and mobile systems. Used frequencies, the role of the Czech Telecommunication Office, modulations, spread spectrum systems, cellular systems. Public phone systems GSM and systems for data transmission (GPRS, HSCSD, EDGE). Spread spectrum system CDMA. Satellite communication systems and satellite navigation systems GPS. Wireless LANs, Wifi, Bluetooth. Network protocols for wireless and mobile networks, mobile IP, ad-hoc wireless networks. Transport protocols for wireless and mobile networks, reliable transmission, flow control. Support for mobility, application programming interfaces, SIM-toolkit, WAP, J2ME.
Language of instruction
- 39 hrs lectures
- 13 hrs projects
- 70 pts final exam (written part)
- 10 pts mid-term test (written part)
- 20 pts projects
Course Web Pages
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Students will learn basic principles of wireless and mobile networks with focus on computer and data networks, Knowledge of basic protocols and interfaces.
The goal is to make students familiar with the basic concepts and structure of modern wireless and mobile communication networks.
- Schiller, J.: Mobile Communications, Addison-Wesley, 2003, 512 p, ISBN 0-321-12381-6
- Andreas F. Molisch, Wireless Communications, Wiley, 2011
Syllabus of lectures
- Introduction, applications, definition of terms, history
- Wireless transmission, frequencies, regulations, antennas, signal propagation
- Modulation, spread spectrum, cellular system
- Media access
- Mobile communication systems, GSM, HSCSD, GPRS, EDGE
- Wireless telecommunication systems, TETRA, CDMA2000
- Satellite communication systems
- Broadcast systems, digital radio
- Localization systems GPS
- Wireless LANs, Wifi, Bluetooth
- Network protocols, mobile IP, ad-hoc networking
- Transport protocols, reliable transmission, flow control
- Support for mobility, WWW, WAP, i-mode, J2ME
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
- A homework on GSM protocol.
- A homework on Wifi/Bluetooth communication.
A mid-term exam evaluation and an evaluation of projects.
To obtain at least one point in each project.
Course inclusion in study plans
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MBI, MGM, MMM, MPV, any year of study, Elective
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MBS, any year of study, Compulsory-Elective group N
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MIN, MSK, 2nd year of study, Compulsory
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MIS, any year of study, Compulsory-Elective group C
- Programme MITAI, field NADE, NBIO, NCPS, NEMB, NGRI, NHPC, NIDE, NISD, NISY, NISY up to 2020/21, NMAL, NMAT, NSEC, NSEN, NSPE, NVER, NVIZ, any year of study, Elective
- Programme MITAI, field NNET, any year of study, Compulsory