MUL Acad. year 2023/2024 Summer semester 5 credits
Definition of multimedia technology, multimedia peripheral devices, connection between signal processing and multimedia, digital signal processors and their features, "case study" of system design with digital signal processor, Windows sound, video, and raster operation API, formats for image and sound digitization, formats for image and sound encoding, image compression, video compression, sound compression, DirectX raster operations, DirectX sound, OpenGL raster operations, multimedia programming interfaces.
Language of instruction
- 26 hrs lectures
- 13 hrs pc labs
- 13 hrs projects
- 51 pts final exam (15 pts written part, 36 pts test part)
- 10 pts mid-term test (test part)
- 10 pts numeric exercises
- 29 pts projects
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
The students will learn and understand basic methods of image processing and sound processing as 2D and 1D digital signals. They will get acquainted with compression and decompression methods for image and sound data in PC environment. They will also learn how to exploit programmers interfaces' for image and sound and get acquainted with data formats for image and sound representation and with basic features of digital signal processors. They will learn about raster operations in Windows API, DirectX, and OpenGL and with sound interfaces of Windows API and DirectX, too. Finally, they will get acquainted with the anticipated development of multimedia data processing.
The students will learn to search team partners, to work in team, and to defend their work in public. They will also improve their skills in development tools usage and also in practical C/C++ programming.
To learn and understand basic methods of image processing and sound processing as 2D and 1D digital signals. To get acquainted with compression and decompression methods for image and sound data in PC environment. To learn how to exploit programmers' interfaces for image and sound. To get acquainted with data formats for image and sound representation. To get acquainted with basic features of digital signal processors. To learn about raster operations in Windows API, DirectX, and OpenGL and sound interfaces of Windows API and DirectX. To get acquainted with the anticipated development of multimedia data processing.
Prerequisite knowledge and skills
Basic knowledge of C/C++ programming, basics of signal processing.
- IEEE Multimedia, IEEE, USA - série časopisů - různé články
- Yun Q. Shi, Huifang Sun. Image and Video Compression for Multimedia Engineering: Fundamentals, Algorithms, and Standards. CRC Press, 1999. ISBN 978-1-4200-4979-8
- Simon, R. J.: Multimedia & ODBC API Bible, Watte Group Press, Carte Madera, CA, USA, 1996, ISBN 1-57169-011-5
- John Watkinson. The MPEG Handbook. CRC Press, 2012. ISBN 978-1-136-02898-6
- Iain E. G. Richardson. H.264 and MPEG-4 Video Compression: Video Coding for Next-generation Multimedia. John Wiley & Sons, 2003. ISBN 978-0-470-86960-7
Syllabus of lectures
- Introduction, signal processing (slides)
- Filtration (slides)
- Compression techniques (slides)
- Audio formats (slides, new slides)
- Sound interfaces (slides)
- Image and video compression fundamentals (slides)
- Image formats (slides)
- Video formats (slides)
- Multimedia frameworks (slides), mid-term test
- DirectX (slides)
- OpenGL (slides)
- Formats and technologies in TV (slides)
Syllabus of computer exercises
- Introductory lab, introduction to tools
- Sound filter design and implementation
- Raster operations in Windows API
- Video sequence processing
- JPEG compression - DCT settings
- DirectX interface for sound and image
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
- Individually assigned examples for the duration of the course
Mid-term test, evaluated computer exercises, and individual project.
The monitored teaching activities include mid-term test, evaluated computer exercises, individual project, and final exam. The mid-term test does not have correction option, the final exam has two possible correction terms.
Course inclusion in study plans
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MBI, MBS, MIN, MMM, MPV, MSK, any year of study, Elective
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MGM, 1st year of study, Compulsory
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MIS, any year of study, Compulsory-Elective group S
- Programme MITAI, field NADE, NBIO, NCPS, NEMB, NHPC, NIDE, NISD, NISY, NISY up to 2020/21, NMAL, NMAT, NNET, NSEC, NSEN, NSPE, NVER, NVIZ, any year of study, Elective
- Programme MITAI, field NGRI, any year of study, Compulsory