Projecting, Administration and Security
NSB Acad. year 2023/2024 Summer semester 5 credits
Introduction. Computer network attacks. Security policy and authentication, authorization, and accounting. Security in operating systems. IDS and IPS systems. Virtual private networks. Firewalls and traffic shaping. Operation and maintenance of computer networks. Operation and maintenance of applications, backups. Monitoring of network elements and workload of computer systems. Cabling systems. Server rooms. Marking.
Language of instruction
- 26 hrs lectures
- 12 hrs laboratories
- 6 hrs projects
- 70 pts final exam
- 25 pts labs
- 5 pts projects
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Students are able to move in projecting computer networks and in extended network services.
To give the knowledge of computer networks projecting, extended services, administration and securing computer systems and networks.
Why is the course taught
The course presents practical approaches to management and administration of computer systems and computer networks. It prepares students for a role of network designers, network and security administrators.
Prerequisite knowledge and skills
Basic orientation in computer networks and operating systems.
- Sean Wilkins: Designing for Cisco Internetwork Solutions (DESGN) Foundation Learning Guide: (CCDA DESGN 640-864), 3rd Edition, Cisco Press, 2011
- Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder, Trent R. Hein, Ben Whaley, Dan Mackin: UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook (5th Edition), Addison-Wesley, 2017
- Donald A. Tevault: Mastering Linux Security and Hardening: Secure your Linux server and protect it from intruders, malware attacks, and other external threats, Packt Publishing, 2018
- Oppenheimer, P.: Top-Down Network Design, 2. vydání, Cisco Press, 2004, ISBN 1-58705-152-4
- Wayne, L.: Cisco Networking Academy Program CCNP 1-4, Cisco Press, 2004-2005, ISBN 1-58713-135-8, 1-58713-145-5, 1-58713-143-9, 1-58713-141-2
- Stallings, W.: Network Security Essentials, 3. vydání, Prentice Hall, 2007, ISBN 0-13-238033-1
- Zwicky, E. D.: Building Internet Firewalls, 2. vydání, O'Reilly, 2000, ISBN 1-56592-871-7
Syllabus of lectures
- Introduction. Computer network attacks.
- Security policy and authentication, authorization, and accounting.
- Security in operating systems.
- IDS and IPS systems.
- Virtual private networks.
- Firewalls and traffic shaping.
- Operation and maintenance of computer networks.
- Operation and maintenance of applications, backups.
- Monitoring of network elements and workload of computer systems.
- Cabling systems.
- Server rooms.
Students can obtain up to 30 points during semester (work in computer exercises, tests and presentation) and up to 70 points from the final exam.
The monitored teaching activities are presence in computer labs, tests in labs, presentation and final exam. The minimal number of points which has to be obtained from the final exam is 34. Otherwise, no points will be assigned to a student.
At least 15 points earned during semester (work in computer exercises, tests and presentation).
Course inclusion in study plans
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MBI, any year of study, Compulsory-Elective group O
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MBS, 2nd year of study, Compulsory
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MGM, MIN, MMM, MPV, any year of study, Elective
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MIS, 2nd year of study, Compulsory-Elective group C
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MSK, 2nd year of study, Compulsory-Elective group N
- Programme MITAI, field NADE, NBIO, NCPS, NEMB, NGRI, NHPC, NIDE, NISD, NISY, NISY up to 2020/21, NMAL, NMAT, NNET, NSEC, NSEN, NSPE, NVER, NVIZ, any year of study, Elective