HSC Acad. year 2021/2022 Winter semester 5 credits
The course focuses on aspects of system level design. Implementation of HW/SW systems optimized according to various criteria. Behavioural and structural HW/SW system description. Basic hardware and software components and interface models. Hardware and software components synthesis. Assignment of behavioural description to given components. Design of interfaces between HW/SW components. Planning access to distributed components. Prediction and design analysis techniques regarding given constrains. HW/SW partitioning algorithms and tools. Heterogeneous computation architectures and platforms. Integrated design tools. Case studies of optimized HW/SW systems.
Language of instruction
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Students will gain knowledge and skill in theory and techniques of automatized HW/SW co-design of computation systems optimized according to various criteria.
Generic learning outcomes and competences
Theoretical background for analysis and design of HW/SW systems.
The aim of the course is to gain knowledge and skills in HW/SW co-design of computing systems. The students will also learn about models of hardware and software component behavior and mutual interaction, hardware and software partitioning algorithms and techniques and assessment of the quality, and the final system synthesis and optimization according to various criteria.
Why is the course taught
Students will acquire knowledge and skills in the field of HW / SW co-design of computing systems, models for description of behavior and structure of HW and SW components, algorithms and techniques for partitioning, estimation of quality, synthesis and optimization of final system according to various criteria.
Prerequisite kwnowledge and skills
Basics of system simulation and design.
- Lecture notes in e-format
- Schaumont, P. R.: A Practical Introduction to Hardware/Software Codesign, Second Edition, Springer, 2013, ISBN 978-1-4614-3737-6 (eBook).
- De Micheli, G., Rolf, E., Wolf, W.: Readings in Hardware/Software Co-design, Morgan Kaufmann; 1. vydání, 2001, 697 s., ISBN: 1558607021.
- L. H. Crockett, R. A. Elliot, M. A. Enderwitz and R. W. Stewart: The Zynq Book: Embedded Processing with the ARM CortexA9 on the Xilinx Zynq-7000 All Programmable SoC, First Edition, Strathclyde Academic Media, 2014.
Syllabus of lectures
- System-level design methodology for embedded systems.
- Heterogeneous computation structures, architectures and platforms.
- Behavioral and structural HW/SW system description.
- System-level synthesis - allocation, binding and scheduling.
- HW structures synthesis and optimization.
- CAD tools for HW/SW codesign.
- Languages for HW/SW system description.
- Design estimation and analysis techniques.
- Low-power design techniques.
- Models of computation.
- Inter-component interfaces and communication.
- Partitioning algorithms and tools.
- System-level optimization.
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
Individual thirteen-hour project.
- project (25 points)
- mid exam (20 points)
- final exam (55 points)
The knowledge of students is examined by the mid-exam (20 points), the project (25 pints) and by the final exam. The minimal number of points, which can be obtained from the final exam, is 25 (of 55 points). Otherwise, no points will be assigned to a student. Plagiarism and not allowed cooperation will cause that involved students are not classified and disciplinary action can be initiated.
For receiving the credit and thus for entering the exam, students have to obtain at least five points from the project. Plagiarism and not allowed cooperation will cause that involved students are not classified and disciplinary action may be initiated.
Course inclusion in study plans
- Programme IT-MSC-2, field MBI, any year of study, Compulsory-Elective group C
- Programme IT-MSC-2, field MBS, 1st year of study, Compulsory-Elective group C
- Programme IT-MSC-2, field MGM, MPV, MSK, 1st year of study, Compulsory
- Programme IT-MSC-2, field MIN, any year of study, Compulsory-Elective group I
- Programme IT-MSC-2, field MIS, MMM, any year of study, Elective
- Programme MITAI, specialisation NADE, NBIO, NCPS, NGRI, NIDE, NISD, NISY, NMAL, NMAT, NNET, NSEC, NSEN, NSPE, NVER, NVIZ, any year of study, Elective
- Programme MITAI, specialisation NEMB, NHPC, any year of study, Compulsory