Distributed Application Environment
PDI Acad. year 2022/2023 Winter semester 5 credits
Common characteristics of distributed environments. Principles, algorithms, and systems of distributed computing. Types of distributed environments. Design and model of distributed algorithms. Distributed operating and file systems. Cloud Computing. Data-centric computing. Technology JSP, J2EE, JavaBeans, EJB, RPC, XML-RPC, SOAP, IIOP. Web services. Security in distributed applications.
Language of instruction
- 26 hrs lectures
- 6 hrs pc labs
- 20 hrs projects
- 55 pts final exam (written part)
- 15 pts mid-term test (written part)
- 10 pts labs
- 20 pts projects
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
The students will become familiar with concepts and principles of distributed environments, with the design and implementation of applications for distributed environments and security aspects in distributed environments.
- A student learns terminology in the domain of DS
- A student learns to create small projects
- A student learns to present and defend the results of the small project
The aim is to understand the principles and design of applications for distributed environments, obtain an overview of modern distributed environments, and ability of usage application interfaces for various programming environments.
Why is the course taught
The course acquaints students with current technologies of distributed systems, which will enable them to participate in the development of modern applications for large data processing.
Prerequisite knowledge and skills
- knowledge of programming
- knowledge discrete mathematics
- basic knowledge of computer networks
Běžné počítačové vybavení a vývojové nástroje pro zvolený programovací jazyk. K dispozici je také výpočetní mini cluster pro tvorbu a demonostraci projektů.
- B. Burns: Designing Distributed Systems: Patterns and Paradigms for Scalable, Reliable Services, O'Reilly Media, 1st edition, 2018.
- S. Saxena, S. Gupta: Real-Time Big Data Analytics, Packt Publishing, 2016.
- Kshemkalyani, Singhal: Distributed Computing, Cambridge Press, 2008.
Syllabus of lectures
- Principles and models of distributed computation
- Physical and Logical Time
- Global State and Snapshot Algorithms
- Group communication
- Authentication in Distributed Systems
- Graph and Routing Algorithms
- Algorithms of Leader Election and Mutual Exclusion
- Virtualization and Cloud Computing
- MapReduce Programming Model and Apache Hadoop
- Principles of Apache Spark
- Distributed Stream Processing in Apache Flink
- Enterprise Service Bus
- Distributed computing with BOINC
Syllabus of computer exercises
- Apache Hadoop/Spark
- Windows Azure Applications
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
- Implementation of a distributed application in the given target environment (Spark, Flink, Azure, Hadoop,...).
- Mid-term written examination - 15 points
- Laboratory exercises - 10 points
- Evaluated project with the defense - 20 points
- Final written examination - 55 points
- Scored laboratory exercises for which at least two terms are listed. The possibility of replacement only in case of objective and proven obstacles in the study.
- Mid-term exam in the lecture.
- Evaluated projects with defense in the form of presentation of results.
- not applicable
|Tue||lecture||1., 2., 3., 4., 5., 6., 7. of lectures||D0207||14:00||15:50||90||1MIT 2MIT||NADE NNET xx||Ryšavý|
|Tue||lecture||9., 10., 11., 12. of lectures||D0207||14:00||15:50||90||1MIT 2MIT||NADE NNET xx||Rychlý|
|Tue||lecture||2022-11-08||D0207||14:00||15:50||90||1MIT 2MIT||NADE NNET xx||Jeřábek|
|Tue||lecture||2022-12-13||D0207||14:00||15:50||90||1MIT 2MIT||NADE NNET xx||Hranický|
|Wed||other||2022-11-30||N103 N104 N105||09:00||11:00||Cvičení Microsoft Azure|
|Wed||comp.lab||2022-11-23||N103 N104 N105||09:00||10:50||40||1MIT 2MIT||xx||Rychlý|
|Wed||comp.lab||2022-11-30||N103 N104 N105||09:00||11:50||60||1MIT 2MIT||xx||Pluskal|
Course inclusion in study plans
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MBI, MBS, MIN, MMM, any year of study, Elective
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MGM, any year of study, Compulsory-Elective group I
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MIS, 2nd year of study, Compulsory-Elective group N
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MPV, any year of study, Compulsory-Elective group C
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MSK, 2nd year of study, Compulsory
- Programme MITAI, field NADE, NNET, any year of study, Compulsory
- Programme MITAI, field NBIO, NCPS, NEMB, NEMB up to 2021/22, NGRI, NHPC, NIDE, NISD, NISY, NISY up to 2020/21, NMAL, NMAT, NSEC, NSEN, NSPE, NVER, NVIZ, any year of study, Elective