Data Coding and Compression
KKO Acad. year 2022/2023 Summer semester 5 credits
Introduction to data compression theory. Lossy and lossless data compression, adaptive methods, statistical - Huffman and arithmetic coding, dictionary methods LZ77, LZ78, transform coding, Burrows-Wheeler transform.
Language of instruction
- 26 hrs lectures
- 26 hrs projects
- 70 pts final exam (written part)
- 30 pts projects
Course Web Pages
Aktuální informace jsou zveřejňovány na WIKI předmětu ve WISu.
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Theoretical background of advanced data processing using compression. Importance of advanced data compression.
To give the students the knowledge of basic compression techniques, the methods for lossy and lossless data compression, their efficiency and hardware support for data compression.
Why is the course taught
Compression represents one of the most fundamental operations which is applied not only to improve the storage capacity, but also to lower the communication latency or increase throughput of the transmission channels. The goal of this course is to provide knowledge of compression techniques as well as the mathematical foundations of data compression. The students should develop transferable skills such as problem analysis and problem solving.
Prerequisite knowledge and skills
Knowledge of functioning of basic computer units.
- Sayood, K.: Introduction to Data Compression, Fifth Edition, 2017, ISBN 978-0-12809-474-7
Syllabus of lectures
- Introduction to compression theory.
- Basic compression methods.
- Statistical and dictionary methods.
- Huffman coding.
- Adaptive Huffman coding.
- Arithmetic coding. Text compression.
- Lossy and lossless data compression.
- Dictionary methods, LZ77, LZ78.
- Variants of LZW.
- Transform coding, Burrows-Wheeler transform.
- Advanced methods of data compression.
Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students
Individual project assignment.
An evaluated project for 30 points. A final examination for 70 points.
Get at least 10 points for the project.
|Tue||lecture||lectures||D0207||10:00||11:50||9999||1MIT 2MIT||NEMB xx||Vašíček|
Course inclusion in study plans
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MBI, any year of study, Compulsory-Elective group S
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MBS, MPV, 1st year of study, Compulsory
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MGM, any year of study, Compulsory-Elective group G
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MIN, MIS, any year of study, Elective
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MMM, any year of study, Compulsory-Elective group B
- Programme IT-MGR-2, field MSK, 1st year of study, Compulsory-Elective group C
- Programme MITAI, field NADE, NBIO, NCPS, NGRI, NHPC, NIDE, NISD, NISY, NISY up to 2020/21, NMAL, NMAT, NNET, NSEC, NSEN, NSPE, NVER, NVIZ, any year of study, Elective
- Programme MITAI, field NEMB, NEMB up to 2021/22, any year of study, Compulsory