Design and Security of Enterprise Networks
CCS Acad. year 2022/2023 Winter semester 5 credits
Designing network topology with security. BPG, MPLS, MPLS VPN and VxVLAN technologies. Multihoming, mobility, renumbering. IPv6 native implementation and transition techniques. Optical networks. Automated network configuration using IPAM, DevOps and NetOps.
Language of instruction
- 52 hrs laboratories
- 20 pts mid-term test
- 54 pts numeric exercises
- 26 pts labs
Veselý Vladimír, Ing., Ph.D. (UIFS)
Subject specific learning outcomes and competences
Students learn concepts of network design, security and management of enterprise networks. They will understand network technologies like BPG, MPLS, VxVLAN, VPN tunneling, QoS and others.
The course is focused on advanced networking technologies employed in ISP and telcom networks. It includes interdomain routing, IPv6 transitions technologies, L2 virtual technologies and quality of services. Hands-on lab training will be provided on active network devices and Linux stations.
Why is the course taught
This course prepares students for a role of network administrators in ISP networks.
Prerequisite knowledge and skills
Student are expected to be familiar with configuration of active network devices and advanced configuration of Linux systems. Cisco courses CCNA Routing and Switching or CCNP Route are recommended as prerequisities.
- Omar Santos, John Stuppi. CCNA Security 210-260 Official Cert Guide. Cisco Press, 2015.
- Přednáškový text v angličtině.
- Anthony Bruno, Steve Jordan. CCDA 200-310 Official Cert Guide, 5th Edition. Cisco Press, 2016.
- Ivan Pepelnjak, Jim Guichard, MPLS and VPN Architectures, 2000 by Cisco Press.
Syllabus of laboratory exercises
- Introduction to TCP/IP networking.
- Stateful firewalls, IDS/IPS systems.
- Cisco ASA - Adaptive Security Appliance.
- BGP routing.
- BGP - filering, communities.
- LISP - Locator ID Separation Protocol
- IPv6 in enterprise networks. Transition mechanisms, autoconfiguration.
- MPLS a and packet switching in ISP networks.
- MPLS VPN, ATOM
- Optical connections and links.
- IPAM, automated management, devops
- Home preparation and hands-on labs (max 26 points).
- Skills exam (max 20 points).
- Final configuration and theoretical test (max 54 points)
- Home preparation and active participation in hands-on labs.
- Missed classes will not be replaced.
- Participation in all hands-on labs.
- Half of points in each activity required for credits.
Course inclusion in study plans